The 280 pound capacitor

On Fri, 09 Jun 2017 09:16:52 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote: (...)

A bit more on the cost of a replacement capacitor. A company that I worked for in about 1977 was having a similar issue selling replacement and repair components to its dealers. So, I calculated what it cost the company to sell an empty box. That's a repair component that costs zero dollars to purchase and requires no manufacturing. However, it does carry all the overhead involved in shipping a product, such as incoming inspection, QA inspection, inventory control, warehousing, packing, order taking, boxing, documentation, billing, handling, etc. I estimated $75 cost to shipping (not including postage). My guess(tm) is that it would be about 4 times that (due mostly to increased overhead and inflation) today. That would be $300 to ship an empty box today, which is about what Marconi is charging.

We "solved" the problem by offering the dealers almost any quantity of the smaller parts involved for about the same price. Or, we would throw in a handful of random floor sweepings with a little of everything we thought might be useful. Either way, the minimum price to ship anything remained at $75.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Whoa, you have 11 of them! My caps look like those.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

That, unlike most everything else you post, makes sense.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

An old friend of mine who collected vintage broadcast radios would use this technique when re-furbing them to keep up the appearance of originality. I never considered doing this with non-classic gear before, but it does make sense as the existing through holes can be used without needing to accommodate the different lead spacings of the new component. Thank you, Jeff.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I may be a "communist", but I do understand economies of scale. Build everything out of LM324s, TL431s, and 555 timers if you can, so long as it meets the spec.

The old '324 and 555 are sort of disparaged around here, but there's a reason they're made in their billions each year and it's not because of sales driven by hobbyists.

I think the reason a lot of software is so bad is because lines of code are basically free. Hey! There's a library for that, don't "reinvent the wheel." So what if it's 40,000 lines long and was written by God knows who

Reply to
bitrex

66 uF, 276 kV, 3000 A but that was an aggregation of multiple cans.
Reply to
Ralph Barone

Er, yes, good point but not sure what it's got to do with the subject matter of this thread.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Did the series caps have voltage-equalizing mediation?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

This was an AC application (partially cancel the series inductance of a 500 kV power line), so voltage equalization wasn't a huge concern. The individual cans did have bleed resistors inside, but those were to meet the requirement that a can would have a safe voltage on it 15 minutes after deenergization. The cans were also arranged in an H configuration with a CT to measure the unbalance current between the four sections. If the unbalance exceeded a critical value, the bank would be tripped out.

Reply to
Ralph Barone