Tape machine squeel

or not in this case. A bane of repair - the disappearing symptom. Owner away till new year, Technics RS CH700 ribbon connected "separate". Owner stopped using tapes because of squeel, on prompting he said on all tapes and even on door opening but I forgot to ask whether one or other or both tape drives. Whatever I do I cannot induce a squeel. Other than loose or tight capstan spindle what else could give a very loud and annoying audible squeel - he also confirmed it was mechanical and not coming from speakers. Squeel on door opening suggests not pinch wheel problems. Dusting of talcum powder on rubber bands and return to owner? all rubber bands seem good and right sort of tension.

N Cook

Assuming the motor pulley/bearings and capstan shaft are lubed up, I cant think off hand about what might cause this -.ask him about what tapes he is using. I have some mid 70s / early 80s scotch cassettes whose binder has hydrolised and are useless due to loud squealing and poor tape movement. I've also seen this with some old prerecorded cassettes (and others whioch were stored badly). Could just be he's had his cassettes on a window ledge for 10 years! ;-)

-B.

There used to be a product for tape head squeel on reel to reel recorders. It was a silicone based product as I remember. Anyone else remember the name and if it is available somewhere????

Randy

Reply to
AB9GO

I have a full-size separates Technics double tape deck and heard a squeel when playing a tape. I thought it may have been one of the rollers however, I believe it was the tape that was making the squeeling noise!

--
M.Joshi
Reply to

It can indeed be the tape, caused by stiction with the head or other non-rotating parts. Try touching the tape in various places with your finger; if you find a place that makes it stop, substitute a felt pad that lightly touches the tape.

At the professional level, tape machines used to sometimes include a "scrape flutter filter" -- a freely rotating spindle touching the tape

-- to prevent similar problems. Even when you can't hear scrape flutter directly, it can add modulation noise to the signal being recorded.

Isaac

Reply to
Isaac Wingfield

other

Presumably for different models this unit has paired up pulleys and if the band lies on the wrong path then it can rub on part of the internal tape mechanism. Moving to the other run should avoid such contact and presumably the squeal.

Reply to
N Cook

Reply to
Dana