Switching Power of hard drives ON and Off

From the discussions we had I conclude that installing a switch that powers ON and OFF the +5 and the +12 is a very safe way to operate, provided the switches are only operated when power is OFF.

I have looked at my BIOS and I can't see any indication that will allowe me to power OFF any of my hard drives.

Let's face it,computers are made as cheap as possible and reliability is expensive. A hard drive lasts longer if it isn't running.

Thanks

Vlad

Reply to
Vlad

Apparently Microsoft is working on this. It will be available on a new Windows and is called" Power Manage something" and it will work on the drives that are compatible with the scheme. They will get to work after a few updates. We can do it today with the drives connected to the USB port but as you know they must be disabled before the power is switch OFF. Regards

Vlad

Reply to
Vlad