stuck elevator?controller or motor bad?

why do elevators get stuck in general? is it their computer which goes haywire or is their motor which overheats?

would you exit an elevator between floors? couldnt an overheated motor start working again and squash you ?

Reply to
komodore comrade

Any number of things could happen, mechanical jam, blown fuse, welded relay contact, power failure, it's a bit like saying "why do cars break down" an elevator is a complex mechanical device and sometimes something will break.

Reply to
James Sweet

How many people were hurt, let alone killed, in elevators last year? Was it greater than 0?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

"komodore comrade" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

It's possible something failed or triggered that shouldn't have. If there's a sensor to detect door obstructions, for example, perhaps it failed and the elevator picked it up.

Take a look in the elevator next time you're in it. There's a telephone in there for you to call for help if something does happen. This takes the "random" factor out of things... unless you're in the building where the Bastard Operator From Hell works.

Puckdropper

Puckdropper

Why doesn't Alaska grease important parts in their planes?

The greatest danger is falling backwards and down the shaft. This has happened. The interlocks are pretty reliable although I know of one case ....

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Heard of elevator surfing?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Hi!

You won't always find a telephone, but there is usually also a (loud) alarm bell that you can trigger by pressing a button. The elevator at my place of employment is set up like this.

Well, I am the systems operator...and somedays I definitely feel like pulling something out of the BOFH's bag of tricks. Sometimes it's been enough to write my own versions of the adventures.

:-)

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Delivery man stuck in elevator as cops terrorize building By G. Dunkel New York

Published Apr 14, 2005 9:39 PM Ming Kuang Chen, who delivers for a Chinese restaurant in the Bronx, spent

81 hours in a broken elevator?even as police were terrorizing residents of the building looking for him everywhere but in the most likely place.

After he finished his drops on April 1 at Tracey Towers on Mosholu Parkway, Chen took an express elevator to the lobby. The elevator stopped between the third and fourth floors.

Speaking through an interpreter at a news conference April 8, he explained, ?I waved to the [security] camera, I tried to stand right in front of it, hoping someone would see me.?

?I kept pressing the alarm key, I tried to talk to security through the intercom. I did manage to speak to somebody, but I couldn?t understand what he said back.?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Someone was killed in one in a shopping mall near me recently. It got stuck between floors, as I recall two of his friends got out, one slipped and fell down the shaft trying to climb onto the upper of the floors it was between and was killed when he hit the bottom. Good reason to sit tight until help arrives.

Reply to
James Sweet

Yep. That's also why you can't open the top door on the cab from inside - movies notwithstanding.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson