Stops mid bios startup

My BIOS startup screen stops in the middle of the like
DEL to Bootup ESC t
That's right, doens't finish the "to"
If I keep del pressed when reboot it says
DEL to reboot
no ESC

It was working fifteen minutes earlier

Athlon 64 3200  AOpen 2007 and KVM'd with a 1995 P5-75 (used to post this)
GRUB triple boot with DOS at zero sector (this has worked for years)

Worth noting that four months ago the computer would not start
for what I assumed was a bad capacitor

                    - = -
     Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus
  blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web:  panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
   facebook.com/vasjpan2 - linkedin.com/in/vasjpan02 -  biostrategist.com
  ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice.  Everything fully disclaimed.}---

Re: Stops mid bios startup
Did you do the regular drill on it ? (any beeps ?)

Start by pulling the cards, other than video if they plug in plug them out.
 Does it boot ? If not then you go to the drives and unplug all the DVDs an
d whatnot, all except the boot drive. Boot ? If not unplug the boot drive.
Does it say something along the lines of "OS not found" ? If not then you t
ake out the backup battery. Intentionally drain it down. Not the battery bu
t the circuit. Make sure the circuit is dead. Short out the clips with some
thing. Does it start up and sat "CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded" ? I
f not take ALL the RAM out. It should beep. If not it is either the mobo or
 the PS, and you can check for a bad PS anytime with a voltmeter. you shoul
d already have.

But that is pretty much the drill. I can't help you with Winshit 10 but thi
s is hardware and that used to be kinda my specialty. They sometimes got sh
it so fucked up I had to flash the BIOS. Cool Man, gimme some money.

Anyway, just go through the steps I said, you don't even need a soldering i
ron. get back with the results and we can then get to the bottom of this.

Re: Stops mid bios startup
I'm in no position to do all that in the middle of lockdown

I keep rebooting and it keeps stopping in the middle of the BIOS screen
exactly at the "t"

I do suspect it may just go away, so maybe if I don't use it a while?

I got this P5 with dos kermit to dial up to plain text bash (lynx, tin) ISP

I guess i need the "rest" and so does the computer

                    - = -
     Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus
  blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web:  panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
   facebook.com/vasjpan2 - linkedin.com/in/vasjpan02 -  biostrategist.com
  ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice.  Everything fully disclaimed.}---

Re: Stops mid bios startup

Could have been the EARTHQUAKE that started it all!!  :-)

Re: Stops mid bios startup
on Mon, 25 May 2020 08:40:40 we perused:

*+-Could have been the EARTHQUAKE that started it all!!  :-)

I needed the laugh as painful as it is

Most of my computer failures (modems, monitors) linked to storms.

But my first DOS machine had a problem like this in its fifth year (1990)
Back then folks answered the phone and the mfr (Ampro in California)
told me it was the AD converter. But I couldn't find a place to sell me one.
So I wrote to the mfr(TDK)  and asked for an "engineering sample". FREE.
Even funnier because I cudda walked to the AD converter mfr in two hours.

                    - = -
     Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus
  blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web:  panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
   facebook.com/vasjpan2 - linkedin.com/in/vasjpan02 -  biostrategist.com
  ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice.  Everything fully disclaimed.}---

Re: Stops mid bios startup
Wow! FOund it. Works!

I remembered that it complained that I could use a faster USB port.
Wierd. DIdn't touch it. Then I remembered I couldn't see my external USB hard
drive. It was dangling between furniture. USB connection imperfect. Put it
back. Computer booted. Turned out I managed to do same to my modem. (I hate
WinModem. Won't work in Unix.) But dang. Now I can breathe again.

                    - = -
     Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus
  blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web:  panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
   facebook.com/vasjpan2 - linkedin.com/in/vasjpan02 -  biostrategist.com
  ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice.  Everything fully disclaimed.}---

Re: Stops mid bios startup
on Tue, 26 May 2020 16:36:02 we perused:

*+-You did better than I did. I wish mine had been that simple.

Ouch. My symapthy

                    - = -
     Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus
  blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web:  panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
   facebook.com/vasjpan2 - linkedin.com/in/vasjpan02 -  biostrategist.com
  ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice.  Everything fully disclaimed.}---

Re: Stops mid bios startup
snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com says...

Probably just time to get another computer.  Isn't that one over 10
years old ?

I usually buy the refurbished computers off ebay for around $ 100.
Found out years ago that everyone needs atleast 2 computers , especially
anything running Microsoft products.  One to use,and one to work with to
get the bugs worked out.  Always have plenty of backups of anything you
do not want to loose such as documents and pictures.

Site Timeline