Speed control from Reciprocating saw

This is not an urgent question, because I'll probably never use this part either way, but if you guys know something, I'd appreciate it.

I disassembled a Porter-Cable reciprocating saw, and as usual, I saved the parts that might be useful some day. The speed control, about an inch by an inch by a half, has a red dial with numbers from 1 to 6, 3 wires coming out of it, and it has this diagram on the side of it.

What does this mean? There is no toggle on the box and if they are saying it is external (and the saw does have a separate trigger switch), when the toggle is closed the voltage at 1 and 2 are the same. What is the triangle in the middle of the box mean?

If 1 is supposed to be hot, and maybe 3 is varying hot, why would it need the wire to 2?

(Sorry, I've thrown away the rest of the saw, but there aren't many ways it could be wired. Worn out gears that cost more than half as much to replace as the whole saw does.)

Thanks.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman