Speed control adjustment causes drill motor to stop

I have one of those small bench top drill presses. It stopped starting a w hile back.

So I figured it's probably all gunked up inside and just needed a good clea ning and lube, at least it's worth a shot. Nope, I got the case open and e verything looks good.

Turned it on, it started fine. It has an adjustable speed dial, it was set on medium. I touched it and it quit and wouldn't restart. The drill will start with the speed dial at medium or high but not in between, and stops instantly if the speed control is moved when it's running.

I expected you could use a speed control to ramp it up and down while it's running but this one doesn't function that way. Is it broken, or are they supposed to do that?

Reply to
Tim R

Kinda sounds like you're dealing with a bad solder connection or loose connector. Unplug it, tear apart the speed controller, and look for bad solder connections or loose connectors. If you don't feel safe with electricity, kindly resist the temptation to apply power and wiggle the wires.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Mechanical?

If it is the type with an intermediate pulley, take both belts off and clean/lubricate the pulley shaft.

ALDI Workzone 500w Drill Press unboxing / assembly

Mine (same as vid) gums up with dirt, the pulley jams on the shaft and the motor stalls. Hasn't got electronic speed control, ye have to move belts.

Great drill, otherwise. Cost me 25 pounds (UK).

--
Adrian C
Reply to

No, not mechanical. No belts, just a motor that speeds up and down incrementally, so I assume some kind of primitive SCR control.

Reply to
Tim R

Possibly a burned or dirty spot on the control potentiometer.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.