Can anyone explain this method of dc motor control?

These paragraphs are from an article about a homebuilt hybrid car in Mother Earth News.

"Any project fresh off the drawing board has its share of problems, and the Opel hybrid was no exception. When David pressed the accelerator for the first time, he got a 300-amp surge which melted his relays. So he searched his graduate texts for the answer ... and finally found it in-of all places-an old high school physics book: A pulser was necessary to "chop" the current flow and prevent a heavy initial draw to the drive motor.

As Dave explains it, "The motor will always have full voltage and full current, but the pulser makes it 'think' the voltage and amperage are cut down to about 1/4 of what's actually available. With this gadget-which is simply a combination of a reworked car generator and an old fan motor-I can keep the draw within limits and effectively control the car's acceleration . . . without sacrificing the maximum current or voltage that's necessary for high-speed driving. I could have achieved the same results with a commercially available FCR control ... but one of those units would have cut my power slightly, and cost in the neighborhood of $800! I can build my own device for about $25, and I can fix it myself if it breaks!"

Boyntonstu

Reply to
stu

and

So

it

full

an

control

or

achieved

one

Hi, Boyntonstu. You're talking about "pulse width modulation", or PWM. It's a method to ramp up motor speed by rapidly (hundreds to thousands of times a second) switching the motor voltage on and off. The motor reacts to the percentage of time the switch is on. It has a lot of advantages over many other kinds of motor control, particularly for bringing high torque DC motors up to speed slowly.

Google this exact phrase:

"Pulse Width Modulation" +"motor control"

to get some information. I found the third hit helpful

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

Hey guys, you don't get the question.

I know all about electronic PWM controllers like Curtis and Alltrax. The article is a PULSER speed controller that is made up of electrical and not electronic components; namely a generator and a fan motor.

Let me rephrase the question:

How can you control the speed of a dc motor using a generator and a fan motor?

Boyntonstu

Reply to
stu

Hey. Crosspost properly. Not only did you crosspost improperly, but you also made subtle changes to the title. Grrr!

Reply to
Fritz Schlunder

The article is talking about controlling the motor speed my adjusting the duty cycle of the pulses being sent to it. Look up DC motor speed controllers and this type will be discussed somewhere. It seems the person made his own version with some simple parts but as you can see he goes into no detail. Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Pulse Width Modulation?

Reply to
Jamie

Hmm. sounds like a backyard hack job to me. lets see. Generator is attached to the shaft so it generates more power as the RPM's increase, this in turn drives the Fan Motor or Helps in increasing the FAN motor speed. then the blades on the fan simply hit a mechanical weighted switched that will pulse the contacts and at some point when going fast enough stay closed.. sounds like hack to me. or it could be using some kind of optical switch via the fan blades that engages mercury relay. who knows.. i guess the centrifugal would take over at some point and keep the contacts closed.

Reply to
Jamie