Sony PCV-RZ14G computer

Twice a day or once a month or whatever, this computer goes dead. The LCD monitor goes black and the keyboard becomes non-responsive (Caps Lock does not light the LED). The USB ports also seem to go dead as disconnecting/reconnecting them does not produce the audio bong. The fans are running and the LED on the mother board is lit.

Pressing and holding the front panel power switch will shut it down and then pressing it again will power it back up and it ALWAYS boots normally.

Have tried:

1/dismounting all the boards and reseating them (including RAM) 2/dismounting the processor and reseating it 3/cleaning out the dust bunnies 4/reseating all the connectors 5/pushing and tapping all over the place when it is normal trying to force it to fail but that never happens.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Sounds like a bad power supply. One or more sections are shutting down. Replace it before something gets permanently fried.

Reply to
webpa

What I have just learned. While chatting on Skype, I clicked on the video button (the one that starts and stops video transmission) and the computer entered its dead mode. Amazingly, I can repeat this behavior! It sometimes takes many clicks on that button, by the way.

I am thinking that the Skype software call to the video card (it is a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440) is one heck of a clue. But, what is actually happening? Is the card putting the processor into an endless cycle of interrupts? Is the card jamming the bus?

By the way, the computer does not have to be running Skype to fail.

Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
Charles Schuler