SHARP LC-15AV4U inverter repair, redux

There was a post by "Joe" in this forum back in 1/2008 about repairing Sharp LC-15AV4U inverters. Here is the link:

Apparently these TVs ship with more than one type of circuit board under the same model number. Some relatives were going to send one with similar symptoms (it would start normally and shut down after a few seconds) to the e-waste center, so I took it off their hands. It was only 3 years old. On opening the case it turned out that rather than three 0.1 uF 250V capacitors as Joe described, there were instead two

0.18 uF 250V capacitors (different component numbers too). I replaced the top cap, which drove the top two CCFLs (the top of the screen was noticeably dimmer before it shut down), with a 0.18uF 400V 5% (Panasonic, like the original, replacement from Digikey) and presto, the system stayed on happily for a couple of hours (as long as I tested it). The screen was now uniformly illuminated. For good measure, the other 250V capacitor was replaced with a 400V at the same time.

This TV does run pretty warm though. It isn't uncomfortably hot but there is clearly a fair amount of heat being generated, and the unit is much hotter at the top than at the bottom. This heat may have been what killed the first capacitor. Since this is the only unit I have I cannot say if this one is unusually hot, but it is definitely hotter than any of my desktop LCD monitors.

Regards,

David Mathog

Reply to
David Mathog