Satellite Finder (KU Band) (Pas7/10)

Hi I have googled unsucessfully, and was hoping somebody here could help out.

I am looking for a schematic for a Satellite Finder for the KU Band (Pas7/10), the one that I have used before plugs between the LNB and Decoder, It derives its power from the feed to the LNB. You connect an earphone to this unit, and when moving the dish, the tone varies, from a high pitch when not aligned correctly, the pitch lowers as you get closer to the center alignment, then the pitch peaks again as you have the dish centered on the signal.

I know I can buy these units, but it will be more fun trying to make my own.

Please let me know if somebody can point me to schematics.

Decoder -------------------- Satellite Finder ------------- LNB | Earphone

Thanks Peter

Reply to
Peter Kolbe

They work by monitoring the DC current flowing to the LNB.

--
Been there, Done that, I've got my DD214 to prove it.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I don't think that is correct,,

I think they monitor the overall IF level out of the LNB in the 950 to

1250 MHz range, just a simple RF level detector....

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Whatever. The one I looked at monitored the current used by the LNB which increases when it has a higher output level. I still have two new units left, but I don't feel up to looking for them and taking one of them apart to draw the schematic.

BTW, I worked at a factory that built commercial microwave receivers.

--
Been there, Done that, I've got my DD214 to prove it.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Thanks guys, I managed to get a cheap one on ebay (has Mechanical meter and sounder on it)

when I have time I will reverse eng>>

Reply to
Peter Kolbe

Ok Popped the cover open

Several Transistors, SMT Caps, SMT Resistors, and SMT Opamp. Also Coils near the Socket to LNB and near the Socket to receiver.

It also has a trimmer resistor builitin, and the externally accesible Gain (db) Pot.

From what I can see, It must be working by the IF level

Peter

Reply to
Peter Kolbe