replacing smps component

Hi all,

I'm repairing an LCD computer monitor. The smps is faulty, found a couple of bulging capacitors on the low voltage side, the AC fuse blown, a blown 22V

1W zener on the primary side, the main 100 uF 400V capacitor after the rectifier on AC side open circuit, and an exploded FSDM0565R integrated controller and driver (luckily the parts exploded away were readable). Now, where I could find the FSDM part? In your opinion is this worth trying to repair or it might have blown parts like transformers (not something you can find on the market I mean)? Thanks in advance and best regards

Frank IZ8DWF

Reply to
frank

With that much damage obvious just by visual inspection, I'd suspect that the other boards also have damaged components.

I might try to use some alternate power supplies to see if the monitor can display an image before attempting to locate parts for the SMPS.. even if the image might only be the OSD on-screen display stating "no input signal" could be considered a good sign, indicating that the other boards might not be damaged (a definite maybe).

Many LCDs only need a couple of voltages to operate.. some may be minus (-) supplies, but other than correct polarity, fairly common voltages.

Even some batteries (in various numbers wired in series) may be adequate for testing.

-- Cheers, WB .............

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Is the power supply integral to the monitor or is it an external table mounted brick? If it's a brick, your best (and cheapest) sollution is to fiind a suitable replacement. If it's a brick, what is the output voltage and current (shown on the label)?

--
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net

Mouser

, Digikey
and Newark
all list them as stocked item, but Mouser shows them on order. The others show them as being in stock.

--
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net
Reply to
Dave M

Long (and often bitter !) experience of repairing switchers for a living, would cause me to say that with that sort of level of primary side failure, successful - and reliable - repair, is unlikely to be practical.

Sorry :-(

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I just did it, the LCD requires only +5 and +12 and the HV for backlight. Unfortunately the inverters for the backlight are on the smps board so the screen remained dark but I coul see some activity in the dark. Hard to tell if everything is ok, but there's some life. I think I'll order a complete smps replacement board from china (which will last a couple of years again).

Thanks

Frank IZ8DWF

Reply to
frank