Read NAND flash chip (Samsung KLM8G4DEDD-A101)

Hi,

My phone suffered some water damage and now fails to turn-on. I want to get the data off the internal memory.

So far I have concluded that the data is stored on a chip on the PCB which is a Samsung moviNAND chip, KLM8G4DEDD-A101. It is attached to the PCB via a 169 FBGA package.

The closest I could find to a datasheet is :

This chip appears to have a controller on board which I am hoping will make my life easier in that I wont have to deal with wear levelling (& ECC) since if I can interface with the controller it takes care of the wear levelling for me - and I am talking to the chip at a file system (rather than a physical) level? But this is just a 'theory' since I dont have the expertise to be sure of this.

The controller is compliant with the JEDEC MMC 4.3 protocol standard, and looking at the pinouts on the bottom of the chip:

It shows a bunch of data lines (DAT0-7) , some voltage lines for the controller and the chip. (Vcc, Vccq ?)

I am wondering if I can connect the DAT0-3 lines, CLK, and CMD lines to a SD card reader which has similar pinouts

and read the data off to a bin file which I can then use the usual tools on?

Anyone done anything similar - what are the implications of it being MMC4.3 compliant?

I would probably plan on using a micro tip to connect to the pinouts of the FBGA direct with some fine single core wire, but what hardware will I need to talk to the chip? I MMC/SD card reader? Or something like:

-Al

Reply to
Al

It

you've better use something like a bus pirate you will have more commands to get your data back

where to get one :

support forum:

regards

--