Re: More about that Chine

-Snip- TW> You should also note that I very carefully showed why tubes, in general TW> and cheap, .... tube amps, specifically, are a stupid idea for a high TW> fidelity audio reproduction system in 2019. I did so, using published TW> graphs and an assumption that the readers of this group have the TW> technical abilities to understand those graphs and their implications TW> for real-world loudspeakers.

The BBS I use added this Conference last Year (2019). I have looked at a few messages, but thought to post my first message here about the Tube Amplifier topic.

When I was in High School (1956-1959) I told a friend that I wondered if a Intercom systems Audio Output on one end could be ran through a Diode positioned on one lead -->|--

and the Audio Output at the other end have a Diode positioned --|

Reply to
Ed Vance

Not sure of your point but if you used a diode of any construction including a vaccuum tube diode, you would have heard the same distortion.

Reply to
John-Del
01-04-20 02:35 John-Del wrote to Ed Vance about Re: More about that Chine Howdy! John-Del,

-snip- > When I was in High School (1956-1959) I told a friend that I wondered > if a Intercom systems Audio Output on one end could be ran through a Diode > positioned on one lead -->|-- > > and the Audio Output at the other end have a Diode positioned --| have a Two Way conversation without either end having to flip the > Listen - Talk Switch, and no Audio Feedback could occur because of the > difference of Polarity. > > My friend connected a Diode between an Audio Amplifier and a Speaker and > I remember the sound I heard was terrible, distorted iirc. > > I built a Heathkit AA-32 Tubed Stereo Amplifier in the 1970's. > I can't remember if Heath offered Transitorized Stereo Amplifiers back then. > > I've heard beautiful Audio from Both Transistorized and Tubed Hi-Fi System. > BUT > I always remember hearing the racket coming out of my friends speaker when > he used that Diode to demostrate what it would sound like. > AND > When I (even) see a advertisement for a Semiconductor Audio Amp I always > think why did a Square Wave sound so bad back then but doesn't in the gear > sold now. >

Jo> Not sure of your point but if you used a diode of any construction Jo> including a vaccuum tube diode, you would have heard the same Jo> distortion.

I have always thought a Audio Sinewave going through a Transistor would come out as a Squarewave, not a Sinewave.

To my way of thinking a Sinewave is Pure Audio, a Squarewave would make the signal sound distorted (a bit?).

Does it happen as I imagine, or am I way off base.

I never seen the pattern of the output on an oscilloscope so I don't really know.

73 de Ed W9ODR

... There is always one more thing for Me to learn...

Reply to
Ed Vance

It all depends on the circuit. If just fed in to a transistor the output would be a square wave, more or less.

YOu use resistors to bias a transistor in to a linear type amplifier if you want the output wave form to be the same as the input except larger. It will usually be inverted depending on how you make the circuit.

Look up class A, Class B and Class C amplifiers. The class A is linear , class B (in audio amplifiers) usually has 2 trasistors in push pull so the wavefor will not be distorted. The class C amp looks like a bunch of pulses if biased far enough. The class B will be distorted if the transistors are not in push pull. The class C will really be distorted.

Given equal quality amps, the tubes will be driven into saturation on very strong signals slightly different than the solid state ones usually.

I have such a tin ear that I doubt I could tell the difference in a $

100 system and a $ 10,000 system. There have been some studies that people with very good ears can tell the difference the insturments could not detect back in the late 1960s.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery