RCA to Coax modulator schematics

Hello,

I am sure I am not the first one to ask, but I didn't find a straightforward answer to this.

I DID search the web for this, but I only found some schematic drawings on RF modulators, but the input on those is COLOR, LUM, AUDIO rather than the expected AUDIO LEFT, AUDIO RIGHT, VIDEO. So I guess they aren't what I need. Please don't suggest buying one in RadioShack - I don't have RadioSchack in my country (at least I am not aware of its presence on our market). Or reading 300 books after which I will be able to think up a schematic of my own. I need a practical fix to a practical problem. It's a small town with no such devices on the shelves (I tried to do special order, but to no avail). We do have the radio parts market here, though, so with proper schematics I want to try to produce the modulator on my own.

In case it matters, both the signal source device (DVD deck) and the TV set are PAL.

Thank you for your input. Alex.

Reply to
parahumanoid

parahumanoid wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Just purchase a replacement RF modulator, or pull one from ta dead VCR or the like.

Reply to
Gary Tait

That is not a stereo modulator, but you can tie the color and luminance together to feed it composite video and sum the two channels together for a mono audio signal.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Like I said in my post, there isn't a chance to purchase a factory- assembled one, believe it or not. I wouldn't ask for schematics if it weren't the last resort.

Reply to
parahumanoid

Thank you Michael. Looks like we have a winner. I'll give it a go.

Reply to
parahumanoid

Hmm. I just recalled I DO have an old VCR that is dead somewhere in the shack. Thanks for reminding me. Now, the modulator shouldn't care about the NTSC/PAL differences, right?

Reply to
parahumanoid

Might then help if you stated your country.

You'd need to say which type of PAL as there are several which would effect the design of the modulator. Also you appear to want stereo. In the UK 'PAL' stereo involves NICAM which is a digital signal on a sub carrier. Other countries do have multiplex stereo, though.

To design and build a modulator from scratch is no mean task - and

*really* not worth the effort, given the cost of them to buy. If you ignore stereo that broadens your choice of ready made ones - they are used for games consols and security cameras as well as normal AV purposes.

Surely you must have somewhere that does mail order even although you don't have an RS store? Or the DIY stores sell modulators for use with security cameras. Check that it does have sound too, though.

If you live in the UK, Maplin is a rough equivalent to RadioShack.

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long? *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

parahumanoid wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

Not for the video signal itself likely. However the audio might be modulated at a specific frequency, and the RF frequency might be specific too one format.

Reply to
Gary Tait