PWM Control IC Problem (SG3525)

Hi Everybody

This chip normally puts out square pulses. In the power supply I am working on

it is putting out a sawtooth wave. I am testing it in 'standby mode', in which Q4 is off and R33 is in control of the duty cycle. Replacing the IC1 has no effect. Does anyone have any ideas?

Reply to
alphamnemonic

Where are you seeing sawtooths? Pin 13?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

sam

snipped-for-privacy@ece.drexel.edu wrote in news:16ea6110-be19-4a21-aecc- snipped-for-privacy@e39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

That is my question. Why do you have output A and output B (pin 11 and 14) grounded?

Also, pin 13 is VC in for the transistor collectors. Why do you have this connected as an output?

Reply to
Steve

.html

)

Yes the sawtooth is on pin 13. Pin 13 is being used as an output and pins 11 and 14 are grounded because the chip is being used in single- ended supply mode (see

G3525AN.pdf p.6 for an example of this configuration). I can see why you find that strange--I did too!

Reply to
alphamnemonic

alphamnemonic wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i18g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

I'd avoid the funky setup you have. In my opinion I'd connect pin 13 and 15 together and use either output A or B.

I'm not sure what Q4 is doing, I've never seen it used this way, but you must know more than me since you designed this elaborte circuit.

Keep us posted at what you do to resolve the problem.

Reply to
Steve

snipped-for-privacy@i18g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

ror

15

It's not my design. I am trying to repair a commercial unit. I will keep you posted.

Reply to
alphamnemonic

innews: snipped-for-privacy@i18g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

First, I've never scoped pin 13 so don't know for sure what should be there.

But, my guess is that one of the 3 transistors is not behaving properly.and you're seeing one of the caps charging.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

sam

Steve wrote in news:Xns9AD0CDEF8F97Fnobodynobodycom@216.196.97.136:

@i18g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

I have been looking at the circuit and the datasheet.

I'm willing to bet the schematic is drawn wrong. It doesn't make any sense to have pin 13 driving the base of a transistor.

Reply to
Steve

6.196.97.136:

EPAIR/

=EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD | Mirror

in the

-

The schematic is drawn correctly. This mode of operation is described on p.6 of the datasheet (link is given in my post from July 3). I removed the board and re-soldered R1 and R2, and the supply is now working properly again. A rather boring fix, but if it works long term I won't complain... If anyone else is having trouble with this supply, I can send you waveforms captured with FlukeView from the working unit. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Reply to
alphamnemonic

alphamnemonic wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@y38g2000hsy.googlegroups.com:

I'd like to see them. Do you have them in a format you can easily email?

Reply to
Steve

snipped-for-privacy@y38g2000hsy.googlegroups.com:

g/R

orm

Yes: .rtf

Reply to
alphamnemonic

alphamnemonic wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d45g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

I phrased that incorrectly.

I meant can you post them on here for downloading or on a site?

Thanks

Reply to
Steve

snipped-for-privacy@d45g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

=BD

k F

I don't have a website, but I will post them here if you tell me how.

Reply to
alphamnemonic

This isn't a binary newsgroup, and you can't post pictures through Google Groups.

Sign up for a free photo hosting service and post the link to the pictures.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth\'s aluminum foil beanie for the \'global warming\'
sheep.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The pics are up at

/

Reply to
alphamnemonic

alphamnemonic wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z6g2000pre.googlegroups.com:

Those are interesting waveforms.

Nothing I would have expected if I was working on this or I didn't have a known working unit for comparision.

Reply to
Steve