power resistor solder post (in search of)

Hey-

I'm looking for some of these posts that you find cement power resistors mounted to on PCBs.

They're little hollow posts that are inserted through the bottom of the PCB that allow the leads of the power resistor to feed through and solder to the bottom. I assume they're designed to sink a little heat and allow the resistor to be mounted sturdily above the board level.

Anyway, I (always) have trouble heating them up and removing all the solder to install new resistors.

Anyone know what these are called, so I can poke around on mouser or elsewhere for replacements?

Thanks for any assistance-

Kerry

Reply to
KAOS

Could you post a pic to some hosting site, or at least some dimensions, as I don't recognise the description

N Cook

I've seen these on manufactured boards many times, but I can't recall seeing them sold anywhere. Smitty's name for them sounds right. You can also get ceramic tubes for the same purpose, and I think the word 'standoff' comes into them somewhere. Another method of standing power resistors off the board in a mechanically robust way, is to use ceramic fishspines. You can put as many as you like of those on each leg, to space it off as far as you like. Once the resistor is pulled into the board, and soldered, they are very rigid.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

as

seeing

you

But you don't want rigid, in the sense of clamped down to board fixing, or board flexure + lead heating will lead to strain on the solder points, then failure of joints

N Cook

The metal tubes that he is referring to are quite common in TV sets and the like, and I can assure you that they hold the resistors very firmly, and inflexibly, to the board. Failure of the joints on them is not something that I would have said was 'common' ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

As I recall, they are called stand-offs or turret lugs. The component lead usually seems to have a bit of movement in the tube, tho only soldered at the board end of the tube. They are used a lot in Peavey amplifiers and rarely seem to fail.

see here

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems

You need a stainless steel dental pick. Your dentist will probably give you one that is getting dull. Or you can usually find them at flea markets or dollar stores.

You heat up the post (in this case) and ram the pick down into the hot solder. The pick pushes the molten solder out, and since the pick is stainless, the solder doesn't stick to it.

With a little care, you can also use the pick to clear plated-thru holes on a PCB.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

They are called Turret Terminals. Several companies make them, but you can poke around Mouser's current catalog on page 1541. Keystone makes them, even sells a cheap staking kit for installing them to a board.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

"In theory, there isn't any difference between theory and practice.  In
practice, there is."  - Yogi Berra
Reply to
DaveM

Thanks for the pointers-

I guess they're turret terminals. The ones I see on Mouser and on the Keystone site are not as tall as these, but one is close.

I tried to grab some quick (rough) dimensions-

Inner Diameter- 1.2mm Outer Diameter- 2.2mm Base Diameter- 3.2mm

height (above board) 9.5mm (.37 in)

The ones I've found are skinnier than mine too. They probably don't need replacing- it's just that they got heated up good to remove the solder and now the plating looks funky. As long as they serve their purpose...

Here are some snapshots just for reference:

One of them shows a thermistor installed.

Thanks aga> > Hey-

poke

KAOS

They are rolled brass turret lugs/tags/terminals

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

Now seeing a pic they are familiar but no names known to me. I've always known turret tags as the crenelated/castellated (as found on castle turrets) small tags pressed into paxolin circuit board of valve and wire-ended component days and Gardner etc high quality transformers for lead terminations. Looking down on the top they have a cross recess for taking wires in 2/4 directions.

N Cook