Phillips 27" Dead after 4 months

Crikey. My new TV bought in the UK from a store chain 'never knowingly undersold' came with a 5 year unconditional warranty. It wasn't the cheapest sticker price I could find, but when free delivery and this warranty was included, the best value.

Then there's the consumer protection laws. An item sold must be fit for the purpose. And there's no time limit stated for that. I'd expect a court to find in your favour if a TV went wrong like this within 3 years.

--
*Reality is the illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol *

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Very rarely. I saw it once in about 6 years as a consumer electronics repair technician. In that case, I had to do all the usual tests and checks...how does one justify a full service/labour charge for changing a fuse, given the lack of knowledge of most customers? :-)

The answer in this case worked...honesty...I explained that it was rare, and that I had to do all the work to verify that more damage wouldn't be done if I simply replaced the fuse. Some people wouldn't have accepted it, and perhaps that customer simply wrote us off, but that's the way the ball bounces.

I wonder if this sort of scenario ever gets used in a news sting on repair shops (put a bad fuse in a good TV). That would be definitely one that could be fought, and possibly leave egg on the face of the TV station. The blown fuse scenario is one requiring among the most exhaustive checks before a new fuse is installed, in many cases.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

The invoice would read: Troubleshoot tv power and deflection systems for possible cause of open fuse. Inspected for signs of power surge arcing in the line feed section of the power supply. Perform standby and run current draw checks on tv set. Perform all safety checks including leakage, signs of excessive heating of components after extended test run. Replaced fuse with proper type and rating. Intermediate labor rate (not minimum, not maximum) plus the fuse.

Since this equipment was always set up on the bench and the safety and leakage tests were always performed, it really did not take that much tech time to do the job. Most of the 'bench' time was to let the tv run four a few hours after replacing the fuse, and leaving out to turn it on cold a few times before buttoning it up.

Reply to
dkuhajda

Right on, David...no way anyone could successfully challenge that in court, but...in TV-land, where they cut what they want, and leave in what they want, it could require escalation. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre