Philips Active Noise Canceling Headphones, SHN2500 OEM - SHN2500-B ???

Are these actually active noise cancelling, or even noise cancelling at all?

Their list price is only 30 dollars.

I thought to be noise cancelling, there had to be a microphone that listened to background noise and a circuit that reversed the noise and simultaneously played it through the speakers or earphones.

It's not just on this shlocky website that I see the term used to mean, afaict, "fills your ear canal so the noise can't get it". Or do they do more than that.

Thanks.

Reply to
mm

Wow. That's amazing. Thanks.

(I am not going to shop anymore at buy.com, however. Too many problems.)

Reply to
mm

Actually, I've bought a few things from buy.com and been pleased with the service and products. However, I think they have a large number of actual stores that deliver the merchandise so that may be where the variability arises. On the earphones, they're only $9.99 with free shipping - hard to go wrong.

Reply to
iws

See latest issue of Elektor magazine. Noise cancelling theme October issue with ten different sets of noise cancelling headphones reviewed.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Well, maybe not -- not for the $9.99 SKU. I took a gamble at buying two sets of these to replace the bulky earmuff-style noise cancelling earphones that my wife and I use on long airplane flights.

I guess I'm only out $20.

The whole kit comes in a poly bag -- no box. It came only with _one_ set of ear cups. These are obviousy returned or 're-fubished' items. (How do you "refurbish" things like this?) Neither set seems to do much noise cancelling. What they do do .. they amplify the audio when switched "On". Maybe the intent is to over-power the external noise -- thus driving my poor hearing to an even sorrier state....

I see the web site no longer has this $9.99 SKU. They do have a $22.99 SKU that seems to be the full Philips kit -- with box and everything! :-)

Anyway, I guess I'm only out $20.

Jonesy

--
  Marvin L Jones    | jonz          | W3DHJ  | linux
   38.24N  104.55W  |  @ config.com | Jonesy |  OS/2