peavey valeking amp

Hi, My new peavey valveking 212 amp sounds muddy. I want more presence and clarity. I have looked at changing the tubes (matched 4-6L6GC's from fender, 3 12AX7's -factory?) and/or changing the speakers. Does anyone know of any other mods or which of the mods I have mentioned might work the best. This amp has a ton of bottom end, too much! Thanks Steve

Reply to
drake_m1

I don't have a print on that model, but it could be that the pwr section is biased on the cool side. Most mfgr's will do that to ensure the pwr tubes make it through the warrantee period. Lowering the value of coupling caps in cascaded gain stages will improve "focus" and smooth things out (.001u in place of .022 or .047 will tighten up response). Lowering the cap value going into the phase inverter will remove low end as well, but will affect all channels.

If you're not well versed in vacuum tube electronics repair, you'd be best to take it to a good tech and describe what you want to hear from the amp. A *good* tech can make it sound the way you want it to.

Reply to
boardjunkie