Overcharging the battery

How come my Sandisk Clip Sport says one cannot ovrcharge the battery,
but none of my smartphones have ever said that?

Re: Overcharging the battery

The Sandisk Clip Sport has fuck all in the way of smarts in it.

Re: Overcharging the battery

So what! Did your house burn down?
Hint: Charging electronics.

Re: Overcharging the battery
@fmguy.com says...

Conversely my smartphone (Moto G3) instructions specifically did say
that. Wrongly, though: the battery bulged and burst the screen out of
the casing.

Re: Overcharging the battery
snipped-for-privacy@mjcoon.plus.com says...

Guess that I have been lucky.  I only use my cell phone when away from
the house.  At hone it stays on the charger all the time, maybe several
days.  I have done this to a flip phone and 2 smart phones and so far no
problems.

Re: Overcharging the battery

With Li-Ion batteries there are no problems anyway and the rest is done
by the electronics. Care free I would say.

Re: Overcharging the battery

What "no problems"? Like the well-publicised fires, recalls etc?
Airlines seem to care rather a lot...

Re: Overcharging the battery

They don't.
The real problem are the batteries of the shitty B-787.

Re: Overcharging the battery

Have you not read the strictures applied to how you transport your
gadgets' batteries? Admittedly the caring is about their aeroplanes;
they like the batteries to be close to the passenger, to act as a fire
detector...

Re: Overcharging the battery

Might not have been the charging that was at fault. I had a phone's
battery swell and pop open the case while off the charger and at less
than full charge. I just replaced the battery and the phone never had
another problem until I traded it for a new one well over a year later.
Bad batteries happen...

Re: Overcharging the battery
In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 10 Jun 2021 13:34:16 -0700, AJL

There are no bad batteries.   Only batteries that do bad things.

Like children!

Re: Overcharging the battery

That sounds like an ultra cheap non-device-manufacturer-standard
replacement battery.

Re: Overcharging the battery

I've got a Novatel MiFi and their batteries are prone to pregnancy. They
tell you to not leave it plugged in but I use it for internet access 24/7.

One of our clients send in a laptop for testing with our products and
included the same model. It arrived without the back cover because of
the bulging.

Re: Overcharging the battery

People using such crap are irresponsible.
*EOD* for me.

Re: Overcharging the battery

It was the original battery that came in a new iPhone. The phone was
around a year old when the failure occurred. I replaced it with your
well described ultra cheap (US$30 including tools)
non-device-manufacturer-standard replacement battery. Fortunately that
battery worked fine for the following year+ until the phone was finally
replaced.

Re: Overcharging the battery

It's not a smart phone and deals only with one Li-Ion cell battery.
Protection electronics and charge limiters for that purpose are
commodities. I've never had a small MP3 player with battery issues.

They're claiming something that all previous competition took
for granted, to increase meaningless advertizing content.

Your smart phone has a more advanced and more complicated
battery. New developments or manufacturing changes will have
issues without a strict discipline that is often not present
in that competitive arena.

RL

Site Timeline