Overcharging the battery

How come my Sandisk Clip Sport says one cannot ovrcharge the battery, but none of my smartphones have ever said that?

Reply to
micky

micky wrote

The Sandisk Clip Sport has f*ck all in the way of smarts in it.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Am 09.06.21 um 23:25 schrieb micky:

So what! Did your house burn down? Hint: Charging electronics.

Reply to
Joerg Lorenz

Conversely my smartphone (Moto G3) instructions specifically did say that. Wrongly, though: the battery bulged and burst the screen out of the casing.

Reply to
Mike Coon

It's not a smart phone and deals only with one Li-Ion cell battery. Protection electronics and charge limiters for that purpose are commodities. I've never had a small MP3 player with battery issues.

They're claiming something that all previous competition took for granted, to increase meaningless advertizing content.

Your smart phone has a more advanced and more complicated battery. New developments or manufacturing changes will have issues without a strict discipline that is often not present in that competitive arena.

RL

Reply to
legg

Guess that I have been lucky. I only use my cell phone when away from the house. At hone it stays on the charger all the time, maybe several days. I have done this to a flip phone and 2 smart phones and so far no problems.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Am 10.06.21 um 20:33 schrieb Ralph Mowery:

With Li-Ion batteries there are no problems anyway and the rest is done by the electronics. Care free I would say.

Reply to
Joerg Lorenz

Might not have been the charging that was at fault. I had a phone's battery swell and pop open the case while off the charger and at less than full charge. I just replaced the battery and the phone never had another problem until I traded it for a new one well over a year later. Bad batteries happen...

Reply to
AJL

What "no problems"? Like the well-publicised fires, recalls etc? Airlines seem to care rather a lot...

Reply to
Mike Coon

There are no bad batteries. Only batteries that do bad things.

Like children!

Reply to
micky

They don't. The real problem are the batteries of the shitty B-787.

Reply to
Joerg Lorenz

That sounds like an ultra cheap non-device-manufacturer-standard replacement battery.

Reply to
Joerg Lorenz

Have you not read the strictures applied to how you transport your gadgets' batteries? Admittedly the caring is about their aeroplanes; they like the batteries to be close to the passenger, to act as a fire detector...

Reply to
Mike Coon

I've got a Novatel MiFi and their batteries are prone to pregnancy. They tell you to not leave it plugged in but I use it for internet access 24/7.

One of our clients send in a laptop for testing with our products and included the same model. It arrived without the back cover because of the bulging.

Reply to
rbowman

People using such crap are irresponsible.

*EOD* for me.
Reply to
Joerg Lorenz

It was the original battery that came in a new iPhone. The phone was around a year old when the failure occurred. I replaced it with your well described ultra cheap (US$30 including tools) non-device-manufacturer-standard replacement battery. Fortunately that battery worked fine for the following year+ until the phone was finally replaced.

Reply to
AJL