notebook pc battery options

Laptop battery life span are not usage dependent. It has a shelf life based on manufacturer's date. It is best to recharged it when it's juice is less than 40 %. Most manufacturer will recommend that. The laptop and the battery is normally not the same from the same mother (manufacturer). Regards

Reply to
BILLINE

We have a 'mini notebook' Acer Aspire One. It's used mainly around the house plugged into the mains voltage, only sometimes using the battery to power it.

We have been told that to *best* maintain the life of the battery over the years , the battery should be stored *out of* the notebook and be charged up fully once a month.

Others have said that really it makes very little difference, and you might just as well leave the battery in the notebook all the time, even when using it from the mains. (which is of course much more convenient, as it's all ready to go, when you want to use the battery power).

Since the battery capacity is very small on this notebook and we really want to try to maximise the battery's life, over the longer term would anyone be able to advise on what best to do, please? Thanks

Reply to
john zeiss

Things have changed for modern notebooks. I don't know about the acer models, you can email them and ask. I have an MSI Wind, and it does not charge the battery until it is 95% or less full. So leaving it plugged in is not a problem, it "tops up" the battery every 2-3 days if I unplug it and put it away at night, or less often if I leave it plugged in all the time.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
Reply to

john zeiss pisze:

Hello! Li-on batteries don't like heat. The best way of storing them is to keep charged about 60% in low temperature. It's also important that battery can not discharge under some voltage level - it is not good for li-on. This level is below 0% displayed by the computer, but you have to remember that battery is slowly losing it's charge, event if it is not used. So don't leave discharged battery for days. However, I suggest you not giving a f*ck about the battery, it has been made to use it, not to be stored in desk.

Sorry for my English. :)

Reply to
hartley

According to

lithium-ion batteries are best stored in a cool place and charged 40% (but consider discharge over time). Nevertheless, if used or not, they do age but 10 degrees higher temperature may double the aging.

Of course, you have to consider the benefits of a built-in UPS as well, which is gone when you take out the batteries.

How warm/hot does the laptop get while using, and is it kept off hot areas while working or sitting there powered down?

Reply to
wisdomkiller & pain

"john zeiss" wrote in news:gn9530$f5d$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

The advantage of having the battery IN the laptop is that in the event of a power failure, you won't lose what you are working on (and risk possible damage to files being written [including the directory]).

I would STRONGLY suggest you keep the battery in UNLESS you have a UPS (uninterpretable power source).

--
bz

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
bz

Sell it and buy a desktop?

--
Adrian C
Reply to

bz pinched out a steaming pile of:

around

over

be

you

even

convenient,

really

would

of a

possible

Good Idea. Most laptops also have ram batteries as well as the usual CMOS battery. So what yer working on will be preserved in ram for a few more seconds even if yer main is low.

--
  		   http://eyeonpalin.org/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
§ñühw¤£f

the

harged

That's silly. The battery manufacturer and the notebook manufacturer have worked out an optimal strategy, and there's NO REASON to try to second-guess them. There's also no way to know if you 'got it right'.

There's one recommendation I believe in, which is that the smart charge algorithms need to occasionally recalibrate, and this happens when the 'low-charge' warning is seen, after which a full charge cycle occurs. So, every three to six months, unplug the charger and let the battery run the machine until the warning comes on. Then, reattach the charger.

Reply to
whit3rd