Mopar model 812 car radio, (early 1950's Chrysler product)

Delco was still using 262.5 in the early '70s. I could repair most of their mid '60s to mid '70s AM radios in less than 15 minutes. Some took less than 5 minutes. I still hve most of the H.W. Sams AR series manuals. The cheap Japanese radios used either 450 or 455 KHz IFs, which caused problems on 900 or 910 KHz.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Well that makes sense. I got pretty good on the Delco stuff. Mostly bad tubes, suppressor caps, stuck vibrators, things of that nature. Tweaking the receiver I usually did by ear going through each stage from start to finish. Then the antenna trimmer once it was back in the vehicle. I'm sure I have an old tube radio and a few parts up in the attic. Used to have one on my bench for music.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Reply to

I gave away about 200 '50s through '70s car radios when I moved south, 25 years ago. Now, most are worth $100 to $1000. :(

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

the

ir most

ome

ies

I think I've run into "flaming" stupid before. That would melt teflon. Many years ago a guy handed me a short wave radio to repair adding, "I noticed that all the screws in those "can things" and holes were loose so I tightened them all for you". After we discussed what a full alignment, in addition to whatever repair he was bringing it in for in the first place would cost, he left with his radio and his tail between his legs.....Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

Doesn't that piss you off.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Reply to
Meat Plow

I've run into 'tweakers' before busting the slugs in the cans not knowing their ass from a hole in the ground about what they were doing. I fixed up a couple, removing the busted slugs, chipping them out in pieces that took hours. And cost them dearly. Those were for classic autos that the owner wanted to keep original, and where the cost of replacing busted slugs and alignment was cheaper than finding a replacement.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Reply to
Meat Plow

I've had them walk in the shop with the coil from an IF transformer where they used an old Allen wrench. It cracked the cores, but they kept turning till they ripped the leads of the coil form. The funniest was some idiot who called to see what we charge to fix a car radio, and told us he wouldn't pay our service rate. The next day he walked into the shop with the electrolytic from a mid '60s Delco solid state AM radio that he had literally ripped out of the radio with a pair of channel lock pliers, with part of the PC board still attached. He told us that he wanted to buy a 'vibrator'. "My daddy used to fix the radio in his 55 chevy all the time, and he told me that it's always a bad vibrator!" He didn't believe that his radio didn't have a vibrator, or that the radio wasn't worth fixing. He must have taken it to every shop in town after that, because we got calls from just about every other shop in the area, telling us about the idiot with the damaged electrolytic. :)

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I had a choice of bringing my tools, parts and manuals, or the radios. I made a lot more money from using the tools. I hauled a little over 17,000 pounds of tools, parts and manuals 1,000 miles, in two trips. :)

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Was a semi with a 60, lbs load limit too much money one way?

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Reply to
Meat Plow

I have, i think, an old vibrator tester that plugged into a tube tester. It had two lamps sticking out of the side. The vibrator was bad if they glowed equally or didn't glow at all.

Reply to
Ron D.

I made two trips in a stepvan, for under $150. It took several weeks on each end to load and unload the truck, so a semi would have been out of the question.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

ge

.

air

AR

KHz

It was a nice Halicrafters too

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

Our TV set was made by Hallicrafters, back when Chicago was the world hub of the consumer electronics industry. At the same time, we had a Webcor phonograph and a Zenith radio. My father later bought a Webcor wire recorder second-hand, followed by a Wollensak tape recorder. The Jensen Speaker division of the Muter Company was within walking distance of our house. Then my parents got an Admiral portable TV for their bedroom. I briefly had a Sherwood stereo receiver, and, at the height of the CB craze, a Cobra CB transceiver. Only Cobra survives as a Chicago-based company today, although Hallicrafters continues to exist as part of the defense contractor Northrop Grumman.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

Ahh the good old days. My first SW transceiver was a Heath SB-101 purchased at a hamfest back in 1990 for $80 bucks with PSU. It was in excellent cosmetic shape but needed a pair of 6146 output tubes and a couple others. Back then replacements were pretty cheap I think I ended up with around $40 more in it to get it back to working specs.

I've owned two or three Halicrafters receivers over the past 35 years. And a couple really decent Radio Shack SW receivers.

Back in the late 50's my dad built a Heathkit CB. If I recall you plugged the crystals right in the front. Had had someone put up a 40 foot tower with a 5 element Mosley yagi beam. I guess I can credit that for my start in electronics, watching dad put that thing together and talking 'skip' on it. There were a few locals that also has Cb radios back then. I can even remember my dad's call sign.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Reply to
Meat Plow

nt image

.

could repair

ms AR

55 KHz

moved

Send Invite 50 left Preview Invite

< About these ads Power Switches & Relays - Order Power Switches & Relays Now. Search and Save -

Archive Report spam Delete Move to

Labels

More actions

Refresh All None Read Unread Starred Unstarred 1 - 50 of 108 Older =E2=80=BA Oldest =C2=BB

Mike, Eric, me (3)

[tv-repair] Magnavox PTV 711 chassis model # FP5250W104=E2=80=8E - Poor lit= tle devil. Don't you think that Texas is carrying that death penalty thing a bit too =E2=80=A6 10:44 am

Shannen's Electronics

[tv-repair] P/A RCA DLP M50WH74 (ATC351A) lamp door needed=E2=80=8E - Custo= mer brought in this RCA dlp M50WH74S (ATC351A) with the lamp door missing. I believe the =E2=80=A6 10:42 am

Jeff, Jim, me (3)

[tv-repair] T/A KV36HS420 2 blinks=E2=80=8E - Jesse. I found this on my gro= up. I never knew about the service screen. It sounds like the set =E2=80=A6 9:49 am

jmiller

WA#1755471=E2=80=8E - Jennifer Miller Sanyo Customer Service 3333 Sanyo Rd. Forrest City, AR. 72335 1-800-877-5036 ext =E2=80=A6 Attachment May 2

jmiller

WA#1741830=E2=80=8E - The message is ready to be sent with the following fi= le or link attachments: P__1741830.142 Note =E2=80=A6 Attachment Apr 29

Jesse Stein

Fwd: dog fence=E2=80=8E - Forwarded message From: Date: Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 12:25 =E2=80=A6 Apr 26

Milton, me (6)

RE: LG refrigerator model LBN2251#** problems (UNCLASSIFIED)=E2=80=8E - Classification: UNCLASSIFIED Caveats: NONE Glad to hear your surgery went well, hope you have =E2=80=A6 Apr 26

EricT

[tv-repair] Re: Sanyo DP52449 LCD Need Manual=E2=80=8E - Eric that's the nicest thing someone has done for me for awhile. Thank You. Eric Tindall =E2=80=A6 Apr 25

me .. Paul, Jerry (12)

Mopar model 812 car radio (Early 1950's Chrysler )=E2=80=8E - I got this se= t working and it actually works pretty well too. The vibrator buffer cap though =E2=80=A6 Apr 20

Eric Schmidt

Sams for Mopar 812=E2=80=8E - Here.

jq

-- Eric Rick Electronics in NYC eric7828@gmail =E2=80=A6 Apr 20

jmiller

WA#1747390=E2=80=8E - Jennifer Miller Sanyo Customer Service 3333 Sanyo Rd. Forrest City, AR. 72335 1-800-877-5036 ext =E2=80=A6 Attachment Apr 20

Ed M

Re: Mopar model 812 car radio, (early 1950's Chrysler product)=E2=80=8E - Sams, set 139, folder 8 Original Message From: "klem kedidelhopper =E2=80= =A6 Apr 20

Milton, me (3)

LG REF=E2=80=8E - I would not condemn the defrost electronics until it reac= hes temp. From what you have said across =E2=80=A6 Attachment Apr 19

me, techsupport (3)

WA 1740207=E2=80=8E - Thanks very much for the advice. I'll give it a shot. Lenny On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 3:50 PM =E2=80=A6 Apr 18

garbe, Jeff, me (5)

[tv-repair] Sylvania 27Z104 no vertical (old !)=E2=80=8E - Glad to hear it. Sometimes we win some and sometimes, well, I have one of those "dog day =E2=80=A6 Apr 18

Peter Lacourse

wrong board=E2=80=8E - before getting fixed i had in the input menu usp mod= e

03 mode video1 video2 video3 hdmi1 hdmi2 =E2=80=A6 Apr 18

me .. John, Eric, Milton (9)

LG refrigerator model LBN2251#** problems=E2=80=8E - One other thing I mean= t to ask. If the thermistor is shorted and the fuse is open, as they now =E2=80=A6 Attachment Apr 16

me .. John, Technotronic (9)

Infocus DLP IN2102=E2=80=8E - Thanks very much for thinking of ,me Steve. I did get into these things a bit more last week. A =E2=80=A6 Apr 15

jmiller, me (2)

WA#1734593=E2=80=8E - Jen please send me a main for this set. Thanks, Lenny= On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 11:36 AM =E2=80=A6 Attachment Apr 15

me, John, tvservice (4)

STK392-120=E2=80=8E - Thanks guys for the info. Funny I would have thought that the 150 would have trumped the other =E2=80=A6 Apr 15

milton, garbe, me (3)

Re: [tv-repair] Sony KD36XS955 6 blinks?=E2=80=8E - You could just replace = the chips and hope for the best. Make sure to use DB's The resistors =E2=80=A6 Apr 15

me, Eric (3)

Philipps Mag. 60PP9363H/17 convergence problems=E2=80=8E - Thanks very much for the tip Eric. I'll look for cloudy fluid also Lenny On Wed, Apr

13, 2011 =E2=80=A6 Apr 13

me, James (2)

.33ohm dual emitter resistors=E2=80=8E - Klem- I checked my inventory, turn= s out the resistors I have are .22 ohm/5w. They should work =E2=80=A6 Apr 13

me, techsupport (2)

WA#1740207=E2=80=8E - Hello, I have attached the service manual and a troubleshooting guide . T.H. klem kedidelhopper =E2=80=A6 Attachment Apr 12

me, Eric, James, Jerry (6)

Stereo receiver dual emitter resistors=E2=80=8E - If there is a part number= on it, you should look it up to see if it has a special temperature =E2=80=A6 Apr 8

jmiller

WA#1740207=E2=80=8E - The message is ready to be sent with the following fi= le or link attachments: DOC044 Note: To =E2=80=A6 Attachment Apr 8

Ardell, John, tomlee (4)

[tv-repair] Vizio SP42A Plasma washed out=E2=80=8E - Thank you. Yes, the he= at sink on the Z board is running cold. I found an open fuse on it which I =E2=80=A6 Apr 5

jmiller, me (2)

WA#1735520=E2=80=8E - Jen Please send me a main for this set. Thank you. Le= nny On 4/1/11, snipped-for-privacy@sanyotv.com =E2=80=A6 Attachment Apr 1

Bopp, Jonathan G

FW: Legacy Model Discontinuation Plan=E2=80=8E - This is the discontinuatio= n letter but the exceeder will be totally compatible with any circuit =E2=80= =A6 Mar 28

techsupport

Re: Two WRA's: 1728064=E2=80=8E - Lenny, If TV makes a pop sound and goes o= ff you will need to check voltages on connectors to see =E2=80=A6 Mar 24

techsupport

Re: Two WRA's: 1723214=E2=80=8E - Hello Lenny, When you check TV with your HDMI device and it dose not work then you probably have =E2=80=A6 Mar 24

klem kedidelhopper

hilary=E2=80=8E - Hilary As you requested, I'll meet you to discuss the new meeting room on Monday at the =E2=80=A6 Mar 18

jmiller

WA#1728064=E2=80=8E - Jennifer Miller Sanyo Customer Service 3333 Sanyo Rd. Forrest City, AR. 72335 1-800-877-5036 ext =E2=80=A6 Attachment Mar 18

jmiller, me (2)

WA#1723214=E2=80=8E - Hi Jen Please send me a main for this set. Thanks, Le= nny On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 3:09 PM =E2=80=A6 Attachment Mar 11

Jesse Stein

Fwd: Tv specs=E2=80=8E - Forwarded message From: Da= te: Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 5:34 =E2=80=A6 Mar 1

Eric Schmidt

Toshiba 32AF45 Manual=E2=80=8E - Attached. The source of the tip I posted about D508 was the Admin at Repair World. -- Eric Rick =E2=80=A6 Attachment Jan 26

me .. LeRoy (27)

Sylvania E53-41 strange symptoms=E2=80=8E - Hi LeRoy I just received the manual and service notes. There is a good deal of troubleshooting =E2=80=A6 Jan 11

walter .. me, Jerry (6)

Re: [tv-repair] Re: LG/Zenith model 42PC5DUL=E2=80=8E - I tell the customer= s that just looking at it is free but that I have to charge for the time and =E2=80=A6 Jan 10

ncf8710, me (10)

JVC Deck=E2=80=8E - Hi Jesse, My phone number is 860-274-5302. The house ha= s a large dish antenna beside the garage =E2=80=A6 12/13/10

nesesu, me (15), Draft

Re: Driveway sensor, model 917-1, mfg. around 1993 by "Detector Systems"=E2=80=8E - On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 12:27 PM, klem kedidelhopper wrote =E2=80=A6 Attachment 12/9/10

Jesse, me (4)

poor mans well cap repair=E2=80=8E - Jess I just spoke to Dick Bellemore ab= out your well. He said that you could use a rubber coupling =E2=80=A6 Attachment 11/10/10

Jesse, me (4)

Y SUS board=E2=80=8E - Jess The set is either a 26 or a 32". You never know with John. Sometimes its days and =E2=80=A6 Attachment 11/9/10

me, techsupport (3)

Sanyo DP46848 "Blotches" in screen=E2=80=8E - Howard This is the set in question. I will follow up with some pictures shortly. Thanks, Lenny =E2=80= =A6 11/8/10

jmiller

WA#1619704=E2=80=8E - Jennifer Miller Sanyo Customer Service 3333 Sanyo Rd. Forrest City, AR. 72335 1-800-877-5036 ext =E2=80=A6 Attachment 11/8/10

me, techsupport (5)

WRA 1596801=E2=80=8E - Thanks for the pictures. Please request: N7AF DISPLA= Y It looks like a T Con problem, but you have =E2=80=A6 11/5/10

Ron Bath

E-MAIL ADDRESS CHANGE=E2=80=8E - FYI: My NEW e-mail address is: snipped-for-privacy@cfl.rr.com "Capture the Moment" Ron Bath =E2=80=A6 11/4/10 Starred me .. Jim, tomlee (13)

Sony KP51WS500=E2=80=8E - Sorry I forgot color pin K. So the total is 5 pin= s Tom Original Message >From =E2=80=A6 11/4/10

me .. Jerry, Paul (13)

Overhead projector repeated lamp failure=E2=80=8E - The supplier says"We haven't noticed any problems with those lamps" .But of course =E2=80=A6 11/3/10

me, Ohger1 (7)

Zenith P50W38=E2=80=8E - Hi John, This is Jesse, Lennys son. I believe we h= ad some correspondence a while back in regards =E2=80=A6 Attachment 11/2/10

stein.jesse

some more information on the flat panel=E2=80=8E - Hi dad, I found some mor= e information on the Zenith flat panel. From what I am seeing most say it =E2=80=A6 11/1/10

Archive Report spam Delete Move to

Labels

More actions

Refresh All None Read Unread Starred Unstarred 1 - 50 of 108 Older =E2=80=BA Oldest =C2=BB

Delete forever Not spam Move to

Labels

More actions

Refresh All None Read Unread Starred Unstarred

(messages that have been in Spam more than 30 days will be automatically deleted)

Hooray, no spam here!

Delete forever Not spam Move to

Labels

More actions

Refresh All None Read Unread Starred Unstarred

=C2=AB Back to Inbox Archive Report spam Delete Move to

Labels

More actions

=E2=80=B9 Newer 9 of 108 Older =E2=80=BA Mopar model 812 car radio (Early 1950's Chrysler )

Inbox X

klem kedidelhopper I know that this is off topic and I hope that its not a problem. It seems lik...

Apr 19 (13 days ago) Jerry S You can try cleaning all the contact points. One set acts as an interrupter o...

Apr 20 (13 days ago) Reply | klem kedidelhopper to tv-repair

show details Apr 23 (9 days ago)

Thanks everyone for the response and thank you Eric for the Sams. I just came home from the hospital after having my hip replaced so I've been away from my repairs and this group for a few days. Lucky my shop is in my home so when I do feel like it I can try to get back to work. I did get the vibrator to vibrate and the radio to work somewhat before I left. Possibly it was the rapping on the can that started it up. I also had some buzzing in the speaker and bridged an electrolytic accross one of the terminals of the three section cap in the radio which improved it. So I'll replace that and possibly cut the vibrator open when I feel better. I remember doing that MANY years ago. Wow this thing draws 6.50 amps at 6,0 volts! I guess it HAS been a long time....Lenny

er

may

st

ike

Subject line.... Failure to do so, may result in your posts being moderate= d until added*******

Your message has been sent. Invite tv-repair to Gmail Reply | klem kedidelhopper to tv-repair

show details 12:07 PM (9 minutes ago)

I got this set working and it actually works pretty well too. The vibrator buffer cap though shows very slight leakage and I would like to replace it. The original is a .0047mfd@ 1600V. I know that the cap and transformer make up a kind of "tuned circuit" on these old radios but I'm not sure how critical that was. I have a nice mylar .0056mfd@

2000V in my parts box and I although I wouldn't think so, I wonder if that might be too far off from the OEM value to do the job. Thanks, Lenny
Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

vent image

in

on.

I could repair

Sams AR

455 KHz

bad

he

I moved

ittle

tomer

roup.

d.

file

set

fjq

d.

=A6

aches

t.

t.

ode

ant

ny On

e the

=A6

ch

rns

er on

=A6

file

heat

Lenny

ion

=80=A6

off

ew

d.

Lenny

=A6

ers

has a

about

ow

=80=A6

d.

LAY

ins

had

ore

I'm really sorry guys. It looks like somehow almost everything I've written over the past few weeks was (for want of a better term) "vomited" into my last post, (which incidentally never even appeared Here it is:

I got this set working and it actually works pretty well too. The vibrator buffer cap though shows very slight leakage and I would like to replace it. The original is a .0047mfd@ 1600V. I know that the cap and transformer make up a kind of "tuned circuit" on these old radios but I'm not sure how critical that was. I have a nice mylar .0056mfd@

2000V in my parts box and I although I wouldn't think so, I wonder if that might be too far off from the OEM value to do the job. Thanks, Lenny
Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

We always used the exact value, but you may get away with it. A lot of part warranties required it to be the exact value, and the capacitor was cheaper than the vibrator or the transformer. They were capacitors rated for buffer service, as well.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The cap across the vibrator is to suppress sparking of the reed switch contacts. Like a cap in an old auto distributer with points. They will both pit quickly and eventually fuse together if the cap isn't present. The .0056 should work fine.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Reply to
Meat Plow

I put in the .0056 and its working fine. Thanks, everyone Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper