Modifying solar landscape lights

I'm wanting to install some solar powered landscape lights but I don't like the orange colored LEDs or the bluish tint of the so called white LEDs.

I was thinking of buying some of the solar lights advertised as super bright white LEDs and replacing the LEDs with what are referred to as super bright warm white LEDs. The low voltage powered lights are not an option.

I welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks, Rush

This may be a bit off topic but at least I'm not hawking Chinese made handbags or porno videos.

Reply to
rush14

I'm on the same train. Its just harder to find them and they tend to cost more. I used some boards from Led Supply that are made to mimic an outdoor lamp socket. You mount led's to the board. I think its made for 4. I like using the yellow or orange lamps. they are best for walkways, decks etc. I should order some neutral or warm whites K2's. These are the biggies.

You can wire these up in series for 12 volt use. I ordered some small whites from somebody, but they generally run over $1 a piece. I actually bought a pack of 4 at Advance Auto to put in my car. They are made for 12 volts. They actually run a little too warm with the dropping resistor generating a lot of heat near the LED.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Sure, just get the type with white LEDs, and replace the LEDs with the warm white type.

Reply to
James Sweet

replace the batteries with high capacity ones too, while you're doing the surgery. the stock batteries are ridiculous.

Greetings Rush..

Just a consideration.. Amazing how many people refer it simply as "solar powered" without knowing the real name of the cells.. While I've seen the photovoltaic based yard lights, they're more of a novelty than anything really useful since they really don't put out that much light. By far, the best installations I've seen in yard/walkway lighting has been from professionally installed and wired 12v (or more) DC systems on a timer. They put out sufficient light to

*actually* illuminate the walkway in the middle of the night. In my opinion and from my personal experience, there is no exception - in the long run. Further, they tend to last a lot longer than the alternatives and be more easily serviceable. And trust me, the alternatives tend not to last all that long and certainly eventually require servicing. This of course is referring to the consumer style "solar powered" lighting without wires. Also consider, since they use batteries for illuminating those light emitting diodes, those batteries, like any battery, will sooner than later require replacement.

Cheers, Mr. Mentor

replace the batteries with high capacity ones too, while you're doing the surgery. the stock batteries are ridiculous.

Reply to
dBc

Around here we use 12 volt AC systems. They work just as well as your DC systems and are not as subject to electrolytic corrosion between contacts in a damp enviroment.

They put out sufficient light to

Reply to
sparky