Maytag Timer Motor

Well, my glued pinion gear finally bit the dust.

So, I'm looking for either the timer motor, or just the rotor assembly. Yeah, good luck getting only that!

I believe it is part number 204663 here:

This photo does look like it:

But am not sure about the series.

If anyone has one in their junk box or a recommended inexpensive supplier, please post back here.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

I never had any luck finding a replacement, these seem to be custom made for the particular timer.

Just glue the gear again, or mold a new one out of epoxy putty, it held up a long time after the last time you did it.

In a pinch a new timer could be made with a counter/timer chip and a relay. If you want to adapt a ready made solution, I've got a few microwave oven control boards you can have if you want :)

Reply to
James Sweet

A couple years I guess. But now the pinion disintegrated. And how much is my time worth. Yeah, $0.00/hour, I know. :) The Web site above seems to have it for $38 which might be considered a rip-off but there is some merit to being able to just drop in a replacement. ;-)

Well, this controls all the various solenoids, main motor, etc. If it were a dryer, I might be inclined to do some sort of kludge!

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Ah I was thinking it was. Just spend the 38 bucks, they wanted $120 or something for a new timer for my dryer.

Of course you can probably find a whole used washer for free with some looking, but those things are heavy and cumbersome to move.

Reply to
James Sweet

I am not sure what you have available where you live but here in Sydney aus there is a place that repairs timers on an exchange basis and for about the

1/3 the cost of a new timer as well as come with a warranty so all problems should be repaired if any others exist. Try looking for timer repairs.
Reply to
tpg

Yep, most likely that's what I'll do. Just annoying that it's because of a 5 cent part!

Sure, at $0.00/hour, even that adds up! :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

You might look in the "bone yard(s)" behind appliance stores and appliance repair shops. They usually pile up a quantity of dead appliances before calling in who-ever to pick'em up and haul them off.

That's how I've gotten one or two parts to keep a fridge and a clothes dryer running. Asking the staff has always resulted in "Sure. Take whatever you need."

Of course, any number of fellas here in this ng probably have their own boneyards and may have the part for you....

HTH Jonesy

--
  Marvin L Jones    | jonz          | W3DHJ  | linux
   38.24N  104.55W  |  @ config.com | Jonesy |  OS/2

I see I'm not the only person who visits that store. :)

--
                              God help us all,
          The next President of the United States will be a liberal.

l,

ral.

Yeah - They are really great, a true mom and pop operation. They have half the inventory memorized in addition to their computer. I hate to think what will happen when they get to retirement age, as I don't think they have any other help.

Reply to
hrhofmann

The relevant information is really what's on the motor:

Kingston Model 60

30/11L 60HZ

And printed on it: 4064 which may be part of the Maytag part number.

But I bet any similar Kingston motor will have the correct pinion gear.

The motor and gear look like:

I searched that part number but and while there were hits, it seems that they may have the wrong part in their database.

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

"hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net" writes:

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Is it just me, or do Maytag washers have poorly made timers? It seems the power portions of those machines last forever, but the timers always die. We've probably been thru 4 Maytag washers in the last 10 years. Everyone died because of the timer. They want at least $100 for a new one, and a used machine can be gotten for $25 or less. So we just replace the whole thing. I have all the dead machines outside for parts, but aside from one belt, I never used them for the parts.

I swore after the ladst one died that we would not get another Maytag. But at that same time a relative went into a nursing home and sold his home. We got the washer for free, so what the heck.

That was a year ago, now that washer has a bad timer. So we're back to using it manually by advancing the knob for every cycle, until we get something else. I really hate tossing a machine because of one easy to replace part, but I'm not going to pay over $100 for a timer worth $20 at most.

It amazes me that you can buy a whole DVD player for $25 and have to pay around $125 for a timer that has much less in components. I have never found a place that sells the motors separately either, at least not the ones listed to the timer / washer.

Reply to
someguy

In all fairness, this one did last 25-30 years before giving any problems, and my cousin's was similar.

Of course, that was when the Maytag repairman WAS lonely. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Did he get married now?

Reply to
someguy

One last shot at this and then I'll just go and buy the motor for about $40.

That actual motor is a Kingston Model 60: Embossed in the cover: 30/11L60HZ

And printed on it is the number 4064 which I'm guessing is part of the Maytag part number, though I'm told that the Maytag part number should be: 204663

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs. .

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

He died. :(

prove it.