Marshall JVM 410, 2006, PbF

Early and bad PbF but is it the problem here, most of the ECC83 socket solderings were very iffy . Volume dropped and owner changed the valves. Volume came up but a distortion on the overdrive channels emerged soon after. Redoing those socket solderings and usual suspects on front controls board has not cured the distortion problem. schematic on elektrotanya Harsh cut-off more like clipping and no sign of any smooth saturation, rounding of the peak/s, just launches into cut off on the peaks (not troughs). With all pots at mid posistion the signals ,clean and OD, are sinusoidal and amplitude ratio of about 2:1 OD:Clean in the gain and tone block. That preceeds the valve V7 which with mid pots and order 10mV amp input 400 Hz has on pin2 , grid, about 100mV pk-pk for clean but 7 volt on OD thence clipping. All valves test fine, all R in relevant area are fine. A cap problem ? but coinciding with valve changing? I've not inspected underside of that wired-in board but I'm assuming a cap PbF solder problem. Vol drop could even be the bad PbF at the input socket but problems appearing / disappearing at "intimate" handling suggest PbF problems. There is loads of relays in this design also .

Reply to
N_Cook

Try cleaning/resolderig all the send and return jack sockets, and their accociated switches, particularly the Power Amp In socket.

Gareth.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

And check that a send/return loop isn't engaged with the Mix pot on anything other than fully on or off - not sure which way drops the volume with no effects plugged in.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

amp

could

loads

anything

Will do. I removed the main board and no obvious PbF problems found but treated all the usual suspects. I did note that the 1 1/4 inch fuse holders would have failed solder in a short while.

Reply to
N_Cook

not S/R loop problem Just in case it was an odd batch of ECC83 , I tried with others and the same. Keeping same input and changing frequency

4KHz , 26V pk-pk on V7a grid , pin 7, and ok normal soft roll top "clipping" 2KHz, 48V pk-pk , bad trace hard clipping 1 K , 35V , bad 200, 15V bad 100 Hz, 5V, normal trace shape

so to find an errant cap that is involved in OD1 and OD2 channels

Reply to
N_Cook

Tomorrow I think the 1uF on the cathode of the first triode needs exploring as its output is upped in the 400 - 1000 Hz area. Of course a bit exagerated, in that frequency domain in the clean channel, could well go unnoticed.

Reply to
N_Cook