low ESR cap question & vertical deflection ...

My old "monitor" has a vertical deflection problem. I've noticed one of the caps leaked. (the problem was the top 1/2 stretched, while the bottom shrunk.. until the tube got warm.. but stayed almost the same).

According to the net, it's either Marcom or Elna caps (1uF 50V 105 degrees electrolytic).

So I went and put in there a 1uF 200V 105 degrees electrolytic. Now the picture is shrunk to the middle 1/3 of the screen!

These caps are used to drive a AN5521. If I replace the IC, should that fix my problem? are there any equivalent drop in IC's in case I can't find it local to me?

Better yet, what are "low-esr" caps, and how can I tell them when purchasing? Do I have to replace the 2 caps with the exact same "red" caps, or are the ones I put in there now good enough?

Thanks!

begin 666 shocked.gif M1TE&.#EA#P`/`+,)`````)R`.?G`/___\;& M`-;6`````````````````"'_"TY%5%-#05!%,BXP`P$````A^00!# `,`"P` M````#P`/```$59!)"6J=F-4@Q!@7!@2

Reply to
Leon Kiriliuk

Replacing the IC isn't going to fix it; you still have cap problems.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Post the model of the set and the locations of the cap and you might get more specific help.

You likely have other caps that are bad.

Read the specs to find low esr caps. You will not likely find local suppliers with a range of options in this area. It is not particularly critical in most cases, but if you increase the voltage rating it may become so. A 200V cap will generally have a higher esr than a 50V cap, all else being equal.

Read the manufacturer's specs to find the esr value.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

It's a Toshiba CX28400 / chassis tda9005.

I've replaced all the electrolytic caps on the entire board that are bigger than the smallest ones. Including all the ones the in the C3XX range.

I don't have a service manual for this chasis, and wanted to fix it.

How can I tell a cap is low ESR when purchasing it?

Reply to
Leon Kiriliuk

You can tell low ESR caps by reading the manufacturer's specs for that particular series of parts. If it is not listed as a low ESR cap or the ESR is not specified, assume it is a more typical cap. As I said, it is likely not an issue until you start increasing the voltage rating on the replacement.

That model is not one that I have a manual for, but some of the Toshiba sets had a pot for adjusting the height that would cause problems. I would look for bad connections, check the voltages at the output IC, and try to adjust the height.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 16:06:15 -0400, "Leon Kiriliuk" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Download a datasheet for the AN5521 from

It has an application diagram that will most likely be similar to your chassis. FWIW, some Toshiba sets had a vertical cramping problem due to a dried out 2.2uF 50V cap near the jungle IC.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar