Lexicon PCM70 legacy digital effects unit ...

Bit of a long shot, but I don't suppose anyone on here has got a scrap one of these languishing up a corner in their cellar or wherever ? Owner of a shop that I do a lot of work for has been given one of these lovely old units, but the VFD is busted. Other than that, it all seems to work just fine. It's an NEC 16 character 'starburst' type. Seems its actual number is FIP16A5. There are references on the 'net, but no one stocking such an item even as NOS. Anyone help ?

TIA

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Ebay #260659423706

JC

Reply to
Archon

Thanks very much for that. I put the owner onto it, but I'm not sure if he is going to be able to get it, as the seller is in the US and we are in the UK. When he tried to do a 'buy it now' on it, it refused him as not qualifying for some of the sellers set criteria for buyers, and the one causing the problem was "seller does not ship to your location". He is now in the process of contacting the seller to see if he will exempt him from the condition as it is small and Jiffy-baggable, and ship it anyway. Again, thanks for the pointer.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Most US sellers will ship to the UK if asked, the problem with offering Worldwide shipping on Ebay is all the duff countries that sellers are exposed to. If its a problem I'm sure some of us Stateside can help with shipping a small item. JC

Reply to
Archon

Thanks. I'll let you know how we get on, and if we need any help getting it

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I have for sale if you still need.

I am in Atlanta Ga

Got it off an old Oberheim thought is the exact same part!

Also have a PCM 70 NOS somewhere in here...

If I find it I will give a quote.

Cheers,

Nate

Reply to
n8ball

Thanks very much Nate - that's very helpful. Can you please mail me off-group using the same address as I used to post this, so we can discuss exactly what you have, and how much you need for it ? Thanks

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

You have the part number mangled. It's an NEC FIP1615R. Plenty of substitutes available:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 09:10:39 +1100, Phil Allison pissed:

I agree :)

Meat Plow

Nope. My varifocals are working just fine. It says on the display, very clearly NEC FIP16A5 although the "1" could also be another "I" or vice versa, as they appear indistinguishable from each other. The one in the link on flea bay, is a one-off second hand one, and appears to match my part number. Archon already pointed me at that one earlier in the thread. Unfortunately, the seller does not ship worldwide as part of his sale conditions, and because it is on the U.S. site and we are accessing from a UK account, it won't even let us mail the seller direct to ask if he would consider shipping it to the UK. We are currently working on that problem via a different route.

In the meantime Jeff, if you have a type number for a compatible substitute display, and a link to somewhere you have found that has them available, please share. It would be appreciated. Putting FIP1615R into Goggle yields no results, other than entries from this thread.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Oops. Try searching for NEC FIP16A5R instead. My typo error. Ok, for penetance, I'll do some digging.

This looks interesting:

Stocks PCM-70 parts, but not the display. Might be worth a phone call to see if he has any pointers.

Digging through this thread:

there are some interesting hints. Message #6 looks interesting:

Search Digikey for D0116SY-20-1601FB-ND. Looks promising if it's the same size. That leads to:

which makes similar displays.

List of VFD manufactories:

Various candidates from Futaba:

Can I go back to work now?

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Nice. I like the old analog synths. That one is older than my oldest.

If you looked carefully at my collection, the middle one is a Korg PolySix first produced in 1981: