Identify High Current Power Supply Transformer

Hi Gang,

I have a large and heavy power supply transformer that is part of a high current power supply project that was featured in 73 magazine back in 1973. It was started by a ham radio operator and was never finished. I am going to finish it, if I can. I am trying to identify the transformer leads. This is for a 12 volt, 40 to 60 amp output. Here are the markings:

This transformer was made by ADC and is marked 541-010 REV H. There is a marking on it that says 3-19470 and what I think is a date code of 7438. There are terminal connections on one side that are numbered 1 - 6. On the other side the connections are numbered 7 - 14. I need to know the connection scheme for this transformer so I can put it to use. I contacted who I thought was the manufacturer "ADC" for information, and that did not help.

I don't have the issue of 73 magazine, and I don't even know if this is the same transformer that may have been part of the construction article. I can take pictures and post them if that might help.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

Mike

Reply to
pinpassion

I can't identify your transformer. You will need to do some safe testing of the xfmr to determine what all the terminals are to, and how they might be interconnected internally.

Another way to research your part number is to see if other transformer manufacturers have a replacement product, by way of a product cross reference search.

It's anybody's guess what the intended purpose of your xfmr was. Back in the

70s, there were many universal-purpose xfmrs available. It was common to encounter xfmrs that could have various input voltage capability, and identical dual secondaries, so that the particulr xfmr could be 230, 208, 115 or 110VAC input terminals.

If you are familiar with ohm meter operation, you should be able to determine the various input and output terminals, without applying power to the xfmr. A pencil and paper should enable you to determine the terminal interconnections. It's possible that some of the 14 terminals might not be used.

Comparing your notes to similar xfmr diagrams will be helpful to identify multi-tap and center-tapped windings.

I believe you can find xfmr testing info and safety precautions here

Wild Bill