HP/Pavilion Monitor schematic?

I have an older HP Pavilion desktop (Model 9600) with an HP monitor (Model D7480A) that I really like. HP also refers to this as an S70 monitor. The monitor's power supply just went bad, and with some time on my hands, I wanted to take a shot at fixing it. Anyone know where you can get a schematic for such a thing? "HP" seems to be the wrong answer...

Note that I can't receive e-mail at the moment, so followups on this newsgroup, please.

Thanks for any pointers.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Shaw

Schematics for monitors are very rare. I don't think I've ever had one, most of the problems though are not too hard to fix without one. Check for shorted semis in the power supply and horizontal scan section. Also look for bad electrolytic capacitors in the same areas.

Reply to
James Sweet

Well, check the fuses first.

A common feature of monitors is 'protection' which shuts down the power supply for any of a dozen reasons, which means a short almost ANYWHERE will shut the power off. It doesn't have to be in the power supply. So, best practice is to examine components that handle high power (which makes them high-failure-rate suspects), like capacitors (look for bulges or leaking from electrolytics), power resistors (the crispy black one? -it wants to be changed), and power semiconductors (heatsinked transistors and diodes). Wiring can also fail, look especially at connectors and heavy components for cracked solder joints.

While HP may not have schematics available, you may be able to identify the controlling chips and look at the manufacturer data on them; a common practice is to build exactly the circuit that is Phillips/Samsung/National/SGS recommended application for that integrated circuit.

Reply to
whit3rd