HP 10529A repair parts

Hi,

Got an HP 10529A Logic Comparator that has Led 9 lit all the time. From what I can tell, IC 1820-0598 U2 is bad. I can't seem to find a crossreference for it. 7486 has the wrong pinout. 74C86 (CD4070) seems to be a match however I'm not sure.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Kirk S.

Reply to
Kirk S.

I don't remember which chip it was, but I replaced a chip in a 10529A a few years ago. IIRC, the obvious replacement (74LS86?) needed to have 2 pairs of pins swapped. I finally just soldered in that chip, with the offending pins lifted out to the sides, and then added short wires from the board holes to the lifted pins to perform the swap.

The 10529A is a rather low frequency device anyway, so the extra path length never made any noticable difference and the comparator worked just fine, and continues to do so.

-

Jim Adney

Jim,

Thanks... I've considered doing that. The generic part is SD12986 from National Semiconductor I've had no luck with a match for that. A 74L86 has the same pinout and matches the 74L04 on the output so I'll give that a try. If it doesn't work, the leg swap is next...

Kirk S.

Kirk S. wrote: : Hi,

: Got an HP 10529A Logic Comparator that has Led 9 lit all the time. From : what I can tell, IC 1820-0598 U2 is bad. I can't seem to find a : crossreference for it. 7486 has the wrong pinout. 74C86 (CD4070) seems to : be a match however I'm not sure.

: Suggestions?

The 1820-0598 is a 74L86. Fairchild SD12986 National SD12986 or T.I. SN57132

barry

Reply to
<barry

Barry,

Thanks...

How about using a 74LS386? It looks to have the pinout I am looking for. I have found a source for the 74L86.

Where do you find your crossreference info? I've got some tubes of ICs that I cannot identify.

Thanks aga> : Hi,

Kirk S.

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 04:43:32 GMT, "Kirk S." put finger to keyboard and composed:

It's an SN74L86N.

See

Note that the above database probably has many typos as it was scanned and OCRed from a paper document. Please proceed with caution.

-- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Now I'm confused. I don't know all these chips by memory like some of you guys, so I had to go look them up. The 04 is a hex inverter; the

86 is an quad exclusive or....

BTW, If at all possible, I wouldn't bother to use L series TTL if the LS version is available and has the same pinouts.

-

Jim Adney

Wow, that looks perfect! My data book says it is electrically identical to the 7486 and mechanically identical to the 74L86.

-

Jim Adney

"Jim Adney" bravely wrote to "All" (07 Oct 05 00:17:34) --- on the heady topic of "Re: HP 10529A repair parts"

JA> From: Jim Adney JA> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:344342

JA> Now I'm confused. I don't know all these chips by memory like some of JA> you guys, so I had to go look them up. The 04 is a hex inverter; the JA> 86 is an quad exclusive or....

JA> BTW, If at all possible, I wouldn't bother to use L series TTL if the JA> LS version is available and has the same pinouts.

There is also ALS and others but one quickly gets lost in the alphabet soup. If you have HCT available then skip LS. The HCT is cmos but with the output fanout (i.e. drive) of TTL. It is also 10 times faster and uses less power than LS. You might not need the extra speed though as it might oscillate at VHF if the circuit is poorly designed.

A*s*i*m*o*v

... Integrated Circuit (n): a device used to protect fuses.

Reply to
Asimov

:>Thanks... I've considered doing that. The generic part is SD12986 from :>National Semiconductor I've had no luck with a match for that. A 74L86 has :>the same pinout and matches the 74L04 on the output so I'll give that a try. :>If it doesn't work, the leg swap is next...

: Now I'm confused. I don't know all these chips by memory like some of : you guys, so I had to go look them up. The 04 is a hex inverter; the : 86 is an quad exclusive or....

: BTW, If at all possible, I wouldn't bother to use L series TTL if the : LS version is available and has the same pinouts.

Some of the different logic families have different pinouts for the same logic functions so beware.

b.

Reply to
<barry

:>How about using a 74LS386? It looks to have the pinout I am looking for.

: Wow, that looks perfect! My data book says it is electrically : identical to the 7486 and mechanically identical to the 74L86.

Ditto:

confirms the pinouts are identical.

b.

Reply to
<barry

I thought of using a CD4070 since it has the same pinout as the 74L86. The power requirements are probably different though. The L04 may have different pinouts too. The chip designers must have been having fun that day, eh?

A bit off topic yet interesting to me:

I had an odd experience us> : >

for.

Reply to
Kirk S.

FYI,

74LS386 works perfect!

Thanks for the info...

Now, back to those pesky Williams Defender boards...

has

try.

Reply to
Kirk S.
1820-0598

14 dollars

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v2.0 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

pjotr

Thanks... Found a 74LS386 for $0.50. Bought a few spares... Works perfect!

Reply to
Kirk S.

pjotr wrote: : 1820-0598

: 14 dollars

Woah! What a ripoff for a garden variety 2 input Quad XOR gate!

b.

Reply to
<barry