How do you drill through stainless steel at home?

I use Tap Magic cutting fluid. I bought a a couple of small cans of two different formulas which served me for years before I needed to buy more. The great thing about their product is the fact that it clings to the bit and will stay put so using a lot is not necessary. I've used it when cutting/drilling in different metals including stainless steel. Oh yea, it makes cutting threads into metal a lot easier too. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Yes, That's my experience, slow and steady and make sure the bit is always cutting!

George H.

When you feel the drill start to break out of

Reply to
George Herold

d)

That's a hell of a can opener if it's 1/2" thick! Might be lassoing it with a lanyard would be a better way to go.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

d)

I'd grind a very small flat spot with a Dremel tool (to prevent the drill bit from skating) and anneal the end with a propane torch. You can remove any discoloration with polishing.

Reply to
Denis G.

Hi Jeff, Interesting diagnostics. The flat part (where I don't want to attach a cord) is slightly magnetic. The cylindrical handle (where I do want to drill) is not magnetic at all.

I had not realized how hard stainless steel is!

Reply to
Danny D.

-I'd grind a very small flat spot with a Dremel tool (to prevent the

-drill bit from skating) and anneal the end with a propane torch. You

-can remove any discoloration with polishing.

Can openers are hard enough to keep their edge while puncturing steel cans, such as tomato juice comes in..

"Cold working will dramatically increase the hardness of this material,"

I've seen tensile strength listed as high as 200,000 PSI for Type 302 used for pallet strapping.

You could hang the can opener by a Prusik loop of fancy boot lacing etc around the middle:

This knot survives handling better than a square knot:

's_knot

If you use braided Nylon cord you can melt and fuse the ends of the loop and roll the warm joint flush so it nearly disappears. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Yeah, it's a doozie (for a can opener)!

I bought it at Bed Bath & Beyond for $4, hoping to lanyard it outside. It's too smooth to just tie a cord around the handle.

And, it's not magnetic & therefore very hard to drill with my vanadium-coated (brass color) steel drill bits:

Danny D.

Persoanlly, I drill small holes first. Then I enlarge the holes to the proper size with a larger "bit".

I simply put some motor oil on the area to keep the tooling cool (mega important) and if I'm using my at home drill press, I follow this chart for RPM rates:

or

#1 important thing to do is use oil or something similar to lubricate and cool the tooling. Otherwise you run into all types of issues.

Much success.

--
http://tinyurl.com/My-Official-Response

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://www.Drill-HQ.com/?page_id=226
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

In my checkered past, I once worked for a company that made air droppable tank gun barrels and such. I swept the floor, which is a good indication of my level of expertise at the time. The company was called "Hydromill" which is a clue of how things were machined. Most everything was machined submerged in a tank of coolant. I don't know if it will work, but submerging the drill, stainless part, and vise in a small tub of oil, while drilling, might slow down the work hardening. I've never tried this mostly because it's too messy.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

It's unlikely that annealing with a torch will do much. The overwhelming problem drilling stainless, of the common 300-series, is what Dan said: work-hardening.

With grades 304 and up, the work-hardening effect is fierce. It requires some experience and a steady hand to drill it with a manual-feed drill press. It will work-harden in a fraction of a second and it then becomes problematic whether you can re-start the drill through the work-hardened layer. That's what burns the edges of HSS drills used on stainless more than anything else. It breaks them, too, in sizes of 1/4" or less.

--
Ed Huntress
Reply to

Both parts are the same material, probably something in the 300 series. The flat part has been stamped or punched, which work hardens the part, and produces the slight magnetic effect. Nothing pounded on the handle, so it's not magnetic.

Hardly and that's NOT your problem. Trying to drill a rounded surface directly is going to cause a very different problem. Visualize what a cross section of the contact area at the round stainless handle and drill interface. The only point of contact is at the very tiny tip of the drill, where there's no cutting edge. You can spin that all day long and never get the drill bit to cut any metal.

Take a bench grinder and put a flat area where you want to drill. Grind or punch a starter hole. That will give the drill bit cutting edge something to bite into. After that, you should be all right.

Incidentally, you haven't suffered until you've tried to machine titanium.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Hi Jeff, Funny you mention your floor-sweeping past, as I also had a summer job at a "plant" filled with metalworking machines and Germans running them (real Germans, with heavy accents).

They 'drilled' .010" holes in jet turbine blades using a machine they called the "EDM" machine. It never once broke a bit because it drilled by automatic feed in a bath of kerosene dialectic simply by shooting electric current through the bit which was merely very close to the steel being 'drilled'.

I think the EDM stood for Electro Dialectric Machining, and the concepts were that the sparks "ate away" the metal.

Needless to say, I didn't bring one home with me...

Reply to
Danny D.

Sheesh... why didn't you mention that before?

  1. Do you have a bench grinder? If so, grind a groove around the circumference of the handle. Tie a rope around the groove. Pull tight. It shouldn't slip.

  1. Shrink tube and rope. I have some really nasty shrink tube used by PGE to insulate splices. It's quite thick and comes with a sticky heat activated glue on the inside. Put your rope or hook under the shrink tube and use a heat gun to lock it in place.

  2. Do a knife handle wrap. Find some flat leather strips, and lace it like it was a knife handle. Apply wet, and it will shrink into place. Attach a rope or hook under the leather.

  1. Chinese finger trap. Find one. Apply glue. Slide over handle. Ummm... don't forget to remove your finger first.

  2. Compression fitting. See if you can find a 1/2" compression fitting. It think something in the plumbing department will work. Watch out for stainless to copper corrosion. Also, the electrical department will have power cord compression outlet fittings for electrical junction boxes that might be 1/2". Use your imagination on how to attach a hook.

  1. Capacitive discharge spot welding. It's tricky to weld to such a large thermal sink, but I think it can be done with a sufficiently big capacitor. Spot weld a hook onto the handle.

etc...

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Ya know, I just remembered that I used my Dremel Tool to make a hole in some extremely hard metal on one occasion. I used a little carbide ball bit and it worked quite well but wasn't as fast as drilling. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Hi Jeff, Actually every one of those would work!

You're very clever (we should invite you to our weekly "inventor's lunch" up in Palo Alto on Wednesdays).

I've been needing to buy a bench grinder for years, so, maybe I'll use this as my need-based tooling!

BTW, the chinese-finger-trap seems the most clever!

Reply to
Danny D.

Oooh, I could have fun making a 'novelty' hanger for that!

Anneal the handle, drill lengthwise, swage or epoxy in a cable loop with a "Remove Before Flight" tag.

Variations on the Hangman's Noose make good decorative tool handle grips with loops.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I was born in Germany. Sorry, no accent left.

Today, they use a laser.

I think you might mean Electrical Discharge Mangling:

During my Cal Poly Pomona daze, part of the general engineering curriculum was to run the prospective engineer through every possible metal working machine available. If they had it, I tried (to destroy) it. My favorite was the submerged arc welder, where I successfully created a hot powdered metal and flux volcano. Another was a rather large spot welder, where I convinced a not very swift student to apply grease to his sheet metal parts before welding. The result was a small grease explosion, and a burn line across his shirt from elbow to elbow. My councilor decided that electronics would be a safer major for me.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Hi Jeff,

Up until you said that, I had simply assumed it was two different components. Looking closely, and snapping a picture in the sunlight, now I'm not so sure. It just might be one piece!

Here is a large photo of the junction between the flat & the round:

Small photo of the same thing:

Danny D.

I don't invent anything. I steal all of my ideas.

You'll also need a left-handed wrench for removing/installing the grinding wheel.

I just noticed the coil cord on the telephone handset. Wrap an old handset coil cord over a hook, around the handle, and add some glue. Totally ugly, but easier than drilling.

Personally, I like the shrinking leather knife handle wrap method mostly because the result will be more artistic than the others.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I have one of those! I've never used it (it came with the bits). I'll see if it works.

Reply to
Danny D.