Horizontal O/P Transistor (TV)

Hello,

- measuring short between base - emitter in circuit

- out of circuit transistor measuring 45 ohms in both directions (base - emitter)

- measuring short without transistor in circuit

I assume the transistor is gone and I don't think there should be a short without the transistor in the circuit.

Can anybody confirm this for me ?

Thanks !!

=?UTF-8?B?4piG?=

Some horizontal output transistors have an internal B-E resistor of 30 ohms or so and some also have an internal C-E diode with the cathode connected to the C pin.

David

Reply to
David

Some HO transistors have an integral B/E damping resistor which will give a faulty reading on the DMM diode-check function, if the transistor is directly driven by the secondary of the horizontal driver transformer (check it actually has one!) - this will read as S/C on the DMM.

A description of the symptoms that led you to look at the HO transistor would make it easier for the folks on this group to help you, meanwhile there are a number of other things you could examine. A visual inspection sometimes hits the jackpot, such as failed flyback tuning caps - square or dipped types often bulge while disc ceramic ones usually crack and show a burn mark. There is often a pair of series diodes in parallel with the C/E which are to do with width modulation - these are prone to failure in some makes/models, you could also look at any other diodes connected to the LO transformer which serve scan derived supplies.

Reply to
ian field

Suggest getting a known new (good) device and check it, comparing the readings you get with the original with an operational device. Then check the rest of the circuit to determine what may have blown the original.

Reply to
AJ

As others have noted, this is proably normal. Internal ~50 ohm resistor between B and E.

You mean between the PCB traces? The HOT is probably driven directly by a small transformer ("Horizontal Drive Transformer") whose output winding is very near a short circuit and also normal.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Sounds bad. Should depend on polarity. What voltage does your meter put out in Ohms range?

Follow the circuit from base to ground. You may find a transformer in there which would explain low resistance.

Regards, H.

Reply to
Heinz Schmitz

Probably OK. If it has a built-in damper diode, will have ~50 ohm internal B-E resistor.

That's what I think.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

One strategy many engineers use is to cut the B+ track to the HO transformer primary and bridge it with a 60W bulb, if the lamp lights before the new transistor is fitted then there is a short in the windings - or possibly any width modulation diodes that may be connected to the circuit.

If the lamp does not light then it is possible to fit the transistor, usually the lamp will limit the current and protect the new transistor (but not always!) this often allows the stage to be partially powered without damage and allowing symptoms to be observed.

Reply to
ian field

Sam, I just took a new 2SC4924 (npn HOT in some CRT monitor).

This had R(BE) 14 Ohm vs infintiy (*) with an ohm meter putting out

2.5 Volts in the x1 range. (*) meter connected one way vs the other

Setting a resistor with 42 Ohms parallel to BE, I measured

13.5 Ohms vs 42 Ohms.

That is, even if there is an internal base-emitter resistor of ~50 ohms, it is still possible to check by resistance measurement wether the BE junction is ok.

Regards, H.

Reply to
Heinz Schmitz

Thank you all !!!!!!!!!!!

-- Posted via a free Usenet account from

=?UTF-8?B?4piG?=