homemade or low cost circuit board/ battery box shield?

I have a static sensitive circuit with a small battery compartment
located just underneath, almost touching.  Since there is a chance for
shorts, what could I put between the circuit board bottom and battery
box?  Some of the IC's are static sensitive, so not a plastic that build
charge.  Since this was a homemade project, is there anything I could
use from around the house?

Re: homemade or low cost circuit board/ battery box shield?

Isn't paper traditionally used for that? For covering a small area, you
could probably cut a square out of a latex glove for something more
insulating (although also likely to rot faster).

Elijah
------
also consider stickers, old credit cards, scraps of tyvek envelopes, etc

Re: homemade or low cost circuit board/ battery box shield?
https://www.amazon.com/GC-ELECTRONICS-FIBROID-ELECTRICAL-INSULATION/dp/B00DJUHBIW

is the traditional material.

From "around the house", you might use any otherwise inert neutral paper or something like an index card.

The point of fish paper is that it is long-term, inert, resistant to puncture, non-flammable and all sorts of other virtues along those lines.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: homemade or low cost circuit board/ battery box shield?

Thanks, well that's not that expensive.  The tape they also recommend
buying there, kapton, is what I have here at present.  However, I didn't
realize it came in static and non-static versions.  Do you know any way
i could tell if the kapton I have is anti-static?

Re: homemade or low cost circuit board/ battery box shield?
 Do you know any way

Try rubbing some on a bit of wool in a dry (not humid) room and see if it sticks to anything.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: homemade or low cost circuit board/ battery box shield?

Well, that certainly was a good test.  The only wool I own this time of
year is a pair of Minus 33 wool thermals that I am wearing as I write.
I folded over the tape so the sticky side wouldn't interfere and rubbed
it on the pants.  Took a few tries, but the tape finally did stick to
the wall.  So that definitely answers the question and I won't be using
it.  Thanks for this tip!

Re: homemade or low cost circuit board/ battery box shield?

As long as it does not actually get charged before or during the time
that it is near the sensitive circuitry, it should not cause damage.
Perhaps you could apply the tape before wiping it down with a damp cloth
to discharge it, then install the sensitive circuitry whilst there is no
charge present.

Re: homemade or low cost circuit board/ battery box shield?

There is a very long stretch between "should not" and "will not".  When the proper means-and-methods are readily available, one *should not* take the lesser path.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Site Timeline