HELP! Anyone have an old "Fun Chicken" vending machine or schematics?

I'm trying to help a friend repair an old 80's "Fun Chicken" vending machine. If you are curious what this looks like, check out the following pic:

Well I'm not sure what happend to this poor machine, but a bunch of the components on the main circuit board are toast. I need to identify four of these. Here is a pic of the board with the component locations:

Any chance someone out there has one of these machines and could verify these? A copy of the schematic would be even better!

I've been looking everywhere and so far no luck. Thanks a ton to anyone who can help!

-Randy

Reply to
randy1kenobi

I'm trying to help a friend repair an old 80's "Fun Chicken" vending machine. If you are curious what this looks like, check out the following pic:

Well I'm not sure what happend to this poor machine, but a bunch of the components on the main circuit board are toast. I need to identify four of these. Here is a pic of the board with the component locations:

Any chance someone out there has one of these machines and could verify these? A copy of the schematic would be even better!

I've been looking everywhere and so far no luck. Thanks a ton to anyone who can help!

-Randy

Reply to
randy1kenobi

Hey I remember those! I haven't seen one of them in years though. What exactly is the board supposed to do? It might be possible to make an educated guess as to what the parts are, at least there aren't any custom programmed microcontrollers or anything like that.

The part on the bottom-right looks like it might be a 3 terminal voltage regulator, looking at how it connects to the rectifier diodes and main filter cap will confirm or deny that. The one on the upper-left looks like a power transistor, does the board drive a solenoid or motor?

Reply to
James Sweet

I'll bet the board is supposed to generate a very unrealistic, electronic-sounding chicken clucking noise as the chicken in the cabinet spins.

How would I know this? Because a chicken restaurant we frequent has one, and it's still in use! Kids put in a quarter and get a toy in a plastic egg. Worst rendition of a chicken I've ever heard - sounds like someone's first day playing with their new synthesizer.

Reply to
Mr. Land

Hi Randy...

Man, brings back memories... :)

Used to have a little fried chicken store here (Winnipeg, Canada) that had one of those! Restaurant had the name of my very very young kid, so she sorta thought it was hers... we hadda go there.

Everytime we did, she *had* to put a quarter in the machine, I had to turn the handle (she was to small). The chicken would shriek real real loud and scary, and she'd be gone to the opposite wall! :)

Anyway, here's one.. sadly the auction closed, but maybe if you get in touch with the winning bidder he might be willing to help you out a bit? In case the page disappears, the winning bidder is whatyalookinat.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

That board looks way too simple to be the sound generator, I would expect there to be another board for that, it's been probably 2 decades since I've used one of those machines but I do remember them from when I was a little kid.

Reply to
James Sweet

The board is labeled "Hen Assembly" "Movie Hut Inc". I don't have the actual machine here, just the board. I'll have to go over to his shop and see if I can figure out what it does.

-Randy

Reply to
randy1kenobi

Hi Ken, Its funny you mention that ebay auction, cause I actually emailed the seller while the auction was going on and asked if he could check the components for me. He unfortunately said that he couldn't see any numbers on most of them, and I think the ones he did send me might be wrong, since I couldn't cross reference them anywhere. Thanks for the help though!

Reply to
randy1kenobi

Right now I only have the board, not the whole machine. I'll have to go over to his shop over the weekend and see if I can figure out what it does. Thanks guys for all your help!

-Randy

Reply to
randy1kenobi