Hacking a Denon RCD M35DAB, CD of 2006, so far so good

Neither me or owner will spend out on a new optical unit (failed laser), big spondulics. But a near industry standard KSS 213C looked somewhat similar , so I tried it out. This one laying around , unknown condition, from some scrapped something. The ribbon feed lines for the 3 laser pins matched , the other 2 deck motor+switch leads matched up, so tried it out. Laser lit but logic of the end stops wrong so swapped the optical unit across to the original (scrapper would not have mechanically fitted in the Denon anyway). Required some bodging to fit, straightforward but too much for detailing here, but sledge etc worked . Adjusted power pot and cleaned lens and now consistently reads data track and plays about first 2 minutes track1 of any CD I try, faulters and stops, will not play any track 2 or higher. I suspect the registration of the centre limit switch is out, but could be a problem with the rack although powers up and down the slide without incident with only 2 volt on the motor, but I will try marking rack and cog of the 2minute stoppages. I assume a new (cheap) KSS 213 would show the same stoppage. So how to adjust the end stop , ? pieces of shim material added and subtracted in the gap between sledge and leaf switch and suck it and see? or some other problem likely?

Reply to
N_Cook

I think this is a sled motor issue; I have never seen any limit switch other than the inner (start) switch. As the tracking coil reaches it's physical limit, a player will skip or "falter and stop" just like you describe, if the sled does not advance.Check the voltage across the sled motor as this process unfolds. At some point the voltage should increase to kick the sled forward. Maybe there's a mechanical obstruction, maybe you still have wiring issues.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias