GM OnStar fails where iPhone/iPad locates overturned car in ravine

GM OnStar failed, multiple times, to locate an injured woman who was injured and found lying face down after spending 18 near her overturned car 500 feet deep in a ravine today in the Silicon Valley.

While OnStar failed to locate her, her iPad at home accurately predicted the location of her iPhone once the police hacked into her iPad.

David Howard

So what is all this supposed to mean? Onstar works by satellite, iphones w ork on the cell network. Onstar covers 100 percent of the country, but sat ellite reception can be sketchy if the car is in a ravine, or upside down, or in a garage, or damaged by the accident. There are a lot more dead spot s for cell coverage in this country than satellite.

Reply to
John-Del

Not true. Onstar is a cell phone based system. Think of it as a hidden cell phone dedicated to the Onstar functions.

Reply to
Pat

If the vehicle ends upside down, with the antenna stuffed into the ground...

Or, if the vehicle has a battery cut-out activated by a vehicle upset....

Jonesy

--
  Marvin L Jones    | Marvin      | W3DHJ  | linux
   38.238N 104.547W |  @ jonz.net | Jonesy |  OS/2

Son of a bitch.. you're right (well, Wikipedia says so). I always assumed it was satellite because it always seemed to be packaged with Sirius satellite radio.

Reply to
John-Del

First thing I thought, Gps antenna in ground. I guess the cell phone still had some service, and it's interesting that the on star seems to track you at intervals.still, on star seemed to save the day by recording accident. I keep meaning to shut mine off, and it's just one of my vehicles. Gets costly, or save the day ?

Greg

Reply to
gregz