Glue for repairing wall warts and laptop batteries?

Good stuff, but not perfect. See Silicone II on the chart at the bottom of the page:

Cyanoacrylates (super glue) is very brittle which doesn't work on flexible plastics, which includes some wall warts. I've glued them in spots around the perimeter, only to have the case pop open when I dropped the wall wart on the floor. I suspect more glue would be better, but have never tried it.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

There are "toughened" cyanoacrylates which are supposed to be better about this... the ones I've seen apparently include some extremely fine rubber particles or other fillers. Most of the big glue manufacturers seem to sell one variant or another of this.

Reply to
Dave Platt

I haven't spotted any mention of hot-melt glue guns - not suitable?

Mike.

Reply to
Mike

I've not had much luck. Hard to get it spread around before it gets too cold. Doesn't stick well to smooth plastic.

Might be interesting to roughen the surface, lay it on thin, assemble, then reheat with a heat gun.

My plastic welding experiment seems to be plenty strong with just four patches, one in each corner. I put a tie wrap around it just in case.

Reply to
mike

That's really good for a lot of things, but the hot glue can run again if it gets too hot, so it might not be suitable here.

I used it for something, and was fine, then one day noticed it was no longer doing its job, the glue had melted.

On the other hand, that's a value for some things, you can melt the glue and rearrange things.

I had a good halogen lamp from Ikea that used an external AC adapter. It went bad one time, if I recall there was fuse in there. So I had to open it up. WHen I put it back to gether, I used epoxy, which is kind of messy, and relatively permenent. But it still holds.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Thanks. I must be living a sheltered life. I hadn't heard of those:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I open up those wall warts every now and then. When I've finished doing wha tever it was that I opened them up for, I put them back together with conta ct cement and dental floss. The contact cement goes on the seams. Then I wr ap the two halves with about six windings of dental floss and tie the loose ends in a knot You won't be able to pull the two halves apart.

Dental floss is pretty strong stuff. Think: how many strands of dental flos s would be needed for you to support your weight were you to hang, with a g loved hand, from a tree limb or football goalpost? Not that many.

Reply to
Beloved Leader

I have used GC Electronics Service Cement successfully.

Plastic Weld by Plastruct works well too.

Dan

Reply to
dansabrservices

Anybody tried Bondic? Looks interesting, but not $22 interesting.

Reply to
mike

pump wrench

cut a square of Walmart grocery bag, pierce a mid hole if the cap has a brush..

cover can with bag square so threads are covered screw lid on then tweak threads tight with pump wrench.

comes apart with pump wrench. store wrench in cool place.

what's a wall wart ? I repair lead separation on charger units with liquid electrical tape. Splint the wire n cover area with tape goooo. Grainger has the good stuff. Handy shelf barnacle

Reply to
avagadro7

use the bag. roll up the tube bottom when using just like on TV forcing the air out, place small bag square over outlet then screw cap just so before closing while squeezing the bottom of tube at the rollup focing last air ou t while snuuging the cap down tight.

I split caps...keep a box of spares with the paint nozzles and bag ties

Reply to
avagadro7

A large one is a "power brick":

-- Jeff Liebermann snipped-for-privacy@cruzio.com

150 Felker St #D
Santa Cruz CA 95060
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann