gas discharge bulb V/I trace ringing?

Just a little update, I've tried regular neon indicator bulbs (most of them start conduction at around 75V) and only one showed oscillations and only at low max current ratings.

Here're a few pictures of the V/I traces of regular small lamps. Tilted traces are lamps with internal resistor, so the resistor is tilting the trace. Frank

Reply to
frank

The one that oscillated (IMG_1950.JPG) looks very much like your original video. It would be helpful if you increased both the vertical and horizontal gain of your photos so some detail could be seen:

If you happen to have a few identical NE-2 lamps, put three in series to get something close to the 200v as in the gas discharge tube. Then, compare the displays.

Also, smaller JPG's please. This test does not require 12 megapixel images.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

that's the max vertical "gain" that I can have on the IT-3121, 0.5mA/div.

I've just tried that, no oscillations.

Sorry for that, I've not plaied with the camera settings.

Here's a video of the oscillating neon lamp, the higher current is obtained with 100k resistor, the lower current (and larger oscillations) is with

500k limiting resistor:

frank