Follow-up: Replacements for 2SA1302/2SC3281 (Pioneer VSX-454)

Thanks to the new Google's "feature" preventing me from adding to the original thread (no "reply" allowed after 30 days) I'll have to start a new one.

Around May 19, I posted the above request for subs for outputs for the Pioneer VSX-454 surround receiver. Jurb gave a technique for replacing the outputs with 220 ohm resistors across the B-E pads to check the drivers without blowing up more output transistors. I tried his technique, and it worked. No DC on output, tried headphone jack. I have an old pair of 600 ohm Sennheisers, so no problem driving them. I was surprised how alike the two channels sounded, considering one channel was missing its output stage.

Anyway, I ordered the new transistors from B&D. They had Toshiba

2SC3281s but a sub for the 2SA1302. The hardest part was then getting the 2 flameproof resistors & fuse I needed, as B&D didn't sell them and I no longer had enough to meet MCM's minimum order. I needed an 8 amp 5x20 mm fuse, the biggest I could find was 6.3 amp at Radio Shack, and I got the resistors at an electronic/industrial surplus store. All the 150 ohm flameproofs they had were 1 watts, luckily enough room on the board to fit them - originals were 1/4 W. After seeing them light up orange when the amp first blew, I wasn't going to use regular carbons in there.

The receiver's been working now for about 3 weeks - I just wanted to make sure the repair held up before posting this follow up.

Mike WB2M

Reply to
michael.w.appenzeller

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
Bill

Intersteing, we recently ordered 2SA1302s for Sony RPTVs horizontal section. I guess they weren't from B&D.

The 1302 is what I use whenever I find a bad 1301.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly