Follow-up on splitters, semi-circular antenna

A) To follow up on the recent thread started by me that turned to tv-reception and splitters, I ended up putting in a 1-2 splitter in my attic, in place of the old Channel Master 1-4 and later anr Antronix

1-3 that had been there before. So signal strength will be higher. The picture is good in all ways except for all the white dots scattered around, which aren't very noticeable on green and yellow. Thank you for the help. Maybe fixing up the last piece of cable will get rid of them.

One end of the cable looks good, but for the non-attic end, I had put on one of those screw-on F-connectors. I thought it might be easier and very good. Are they inferior???

I'll change it. Some time in the last 25 years, I even found at a yard sale a quality F-"crimper", so that should help.

-----------

B) The Antronix splitter I have (model number in the attic) which sells for about $2.50 online and has each output labeled 3.5db iirc. Others I have, including an Antronix which sells for 1.50 (HS-2A) don't label the db's and the web advertisements for the HS-2A don't say anything either. . Are they inferior, more db, and if you know, is that why they aren't labeled?

I also have a 1-3 Antronix splitter which has all 3 outputs labelled

5.5 db. I thought you guys said that was between unlikely and impossible that they're equal, and 5.5 is lower than the usual number. It's model HS-3AB10S , but that gives not a single hit in google nor at
. There's some reason they don't still make it. Probably wrong about the dbs. :)

------------

C) I'm going to buy an outdoor antenna, but to follow-up a thread from a month ago, the semi-ciruular antenna which I took off a scrap DISH antenna, you convinced me wasn't very good, and come to think of it, it's intended for people who have satellite, and probably don't much want distant OTA stations, only the ones in town.

Nonetheless I powered the co-ax and connected it in turn to all four jacks on the attached amplifier. Output 2 actually gets channels 9.1 and 9.2 in DC, which I in Baltmore haven't seen since analog days last June, and it gets every other station I can get with my 7-foot straight wire, except channels 66.1-4, which have very little to watch. So the antenna is better than just a wire. ;)

I thought Output-1 would be the one that actually worked, but it was just like my straight wire. Input 1 and 2 didn't work at all. In their case, the word "input" means input from the satellite dish, not input from the DC power supply.

Reply to
mm

1->3 splitters can be balanced or unbalanced. In balanced splitters, all outputs are equal (loss of 5.5-5.9 dB.) In unbalanced splitters, one output is much greater (3.5-4.1 dB loss) than the other two (6.8-8.2 dB loss.)

Some balanced 1->3 splitters?

UCLAN

Thanks.

Reply to