Fiery epoxy ... !!

A few weeks back, I bought some two part rapid epoxy in a twin syringe arrangement, from the local 99p shop - and very good it is too, if you can stand the smell.

Today, I needed to have some of it go off extra quickly, so I mixed a small amount up on a piece of folded up paper, and then waved the hot air pencil over the little pile, with it on its lowest setting, which is not particularly uncomfortable on the skin. To my surprise, after a few seconds of this treatment, the mix took off in a violent and uncontrolled reaction. It smoked fairly profusely, and generated so much heat that it boiled ! I have warmed epoxy - albeit properly branded Araldite - in this way many times before, and the only thing that it has done is to go watery for a short time, and then rapidly into the 'sticky toffee' phase. Anyone else ever suffered a reaction like this ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I tried to accelerate an epoxy curing reaction using a [name with-held] accelerant and ended up with a very hot fire, followed by a volcano like eruption belching flaming epoxy, and spewing noxious fumes. Common two part epoxy is hydrocarbon based, and burns quite readily before and while curing. Some aircraft epoxy is full of phosphorus:

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yup. And it can be even worse with some polyesters. Depends on the precise mix of components, and how much accelerator is in there. I used to work where large quantities of polyester were used, and there were 50 gallon drums half-filled with water around to drop the "dregs" in.

Isaac

Reply to
isw

small

seconds

reaction.

And while on elfin safety - beware of simply dropping a spot of superglue on cotton trousers, You can end up with smoking trousers and burnt skin .

Reply to
N_Cook

"Arfa Daily"

** From China of course.

** Sure sounds like he makers have included an accelerant - like MEK as used for setting off polyester resin.

Use a few drops too many of that evil stuff and you have a smoking hot result.

( MEK = Methyl Ethyl Ketone )

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I would guess that it probably is from China, but it definitely seems to work at least as well as Araldite rapid at four times the price. The only downside is that it has a really nasty smell. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it 'feels' organic - sort of 'bodily fluids', if that makes any sense. You can also get some cyanoacrylate glue from the same place. A whole card of tubes for 99 pence, and again, it really is some of the best superglue that I've ever used ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily