dead SSD memory transplant?

Hello,

My Patriot 60gig SSD died the other day on me, I believe due to overheating after being inside an i7 laptop on a very hot summer day.

When connected the computer wont even POST, the controller chip gets fairly hot (maybe reheating it xbox style would fix it).

I have an identical drive (bought them at the same time) which is working OK, so I thought I could unsolder the memory chips from the dead one and put them on these. There's quite a bit of data there I would like to recover.

Any opinon/advice if this would work?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
takaforo

What caused the failure?

If it's the interface/control circuitry, there's a good chance you can recover everything. If it's the memory itself -- good luck.

I would take the computer to a qualified service shop rather than fiddling around. I would also contact the manufacturer to see if it knows anything about this sort of failure.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

after being inside an i7 laptop on a very hot summer day.

hot (maybe reheating it xbox style would fix it).

so I thought I could unsolder the memory chips from the dead one and put them on these. There's quite a bit of data there I would like to recover.

You're in the wrong group. Try one on hard drives or embedded systems or data recovery or.... I don't have any experience, but If I were designing a hard drive, I'd take steps to prevent this activity in the name of data security.

Then there's the whole issue of removing a zillion chips from both drives and getting 'em back without breaking anything. All it will take is one open or shorted pin to trash the data.

I'd say the chances go up considerably from zero the SECOND time you do it.

Wouldn't it be easier to just restore a recent backup? OH! I'll bet you have a backup the next time it happens. ;-)

Reply to
mike

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 16:04:35 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com put finger to keyboard and composed:

after being inside an i7 laptop on a very hot summer day.

(maybe reheating it xbox style would fix it).

so I thought I could unsolder the memory chips from the dead one and put them on these. There's quite a bit of data there I would like to recover.

SSD data recovery is massively expensive. AIUI, the professionals will desolder each flash chip and read it in a jig. Then they will use an expensive software tool to reconstruct your data.

I would test each of the onboard power supplies. One or more will provide the +3.3V supply for the NAND flash array, and one will provide the Vcore supply (~ 1V ?) for the controller. There may also be a +2.5V supply and/or a +1.8V rail.

If the +3.3V supply is damaged, then the NAND flash would be suspect.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar