CT169 board :)

Hi Guys...

OK, the joke is over... this thing is gonna turn on again if it's the last thing I do. Starting to appear that it might well be :)

Wonder if anyone might know off the top of their heads if the (in circuit) resistance base to emitter of the Horiz out should be virtually a dead short?

Perhaps in my solder re-flowing second attempt I managed to re-flow the inside of the transistor? :)

Can't see with my old eyes anything across it, but...

And if it's of interest, the 140 volts in standby comes up; doesn't overshoot...

Thanks yet again, and take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

That should read almost like a dead short, since you are measuring across the secondary winding of the driver transformer.

Perhaps in my solder re-flowing second attempt I

Reply to
Do Little2

"Ken Weitzel" bravely wrote to "All" (28 Jun 05 04:32:58) --- on the heady topic of "CT169 board :)"

KW> From: Ken Weitzel KW> Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:51729

KW> Hi Guys...

KW> OK, the joke is over... this thing is gonna turn on KW> again if it's the last thing I do. Starting to appear KW> that it might well be :)

KW> Wonder if anyone might know off the top of their heads KW> if the (in circuit) resistance base to emitter of the KW> Horiz out should be virtually a dead short?

KW> Perhaps in my solder re-flowing second attempt I KW> managed to re-flow the inside of the transistor? :)

KW> Can't see with my old eyes anything across it, but...

KW> And if it's of interest, the 140 volts in standby KW> comes up; doesn't overshoot...

KW> Thanks yet again, and take care.

Ken,

Measure the horizontal output transistor out of circuit. The base to emitter junction has an internal low value resistor (10 to 50 ohms) across it. With the proper ohmmeter polarity, the collector should measure high impedance to the base and to the emitter. With reverse polarity it should measure the internal diode from emitter to collector. Beware of high voltages in there!

A*s*i*m*o*v

... Integrated Circuit (n): a device used to protect fuses.

Reply to
Asimov

Ken The horiz output should read a near short in circuit, Unsolder transistor & check out of circuit. What is your standby B+ (arround 143 & Stable) If high contact me & I 'll go further I guess I have worked on several hundred of these in the last 55 years & YES I Know about the eyes

Reply to
cgrob

yes it is quite common for a H- output with built in damper diode to have a base- emitter measure nearly short..

Reply to
darren