Computer grounding via a UPS not proper - what could be the problem.

My computer gives me a shock; Some details: Supply: 250 V/50 Hz. Neutral to Ground at plug-point: 4-5V. Power On (UPS), but no equipment drawing power: 9V (Computer-case to Earth). With everything powered ON: 20V (Case to Earth). Everything ON: 5V (Earth to Neutral at powerstrip - before the UPS).

My UPS batteries are very weak and give about 4-5 minutes backup on power-failure. Could this be causing the problem? How do i check to see if the battery is dead?

Reply to
Vivek.M

Surely you mean 230V ?

There's clearly something wrong there since a case should normally be earthed. But even so - you shouldn't notice even 20V.

The neutral voltage is higher than I'd normally expect to see but nothing out of order.

No.

Do you have a voltmeter ? Check its voltage during the discharge cycle.

Are you sure you're not simply getting 'static electricity shocks' when touching the PC ? Do you have carpets with synthetic fibre for example ? Do you tend to wear clothes with a high synthic fibre content ? These are all things that wil charge *you* up and the PC wil simply *discharge* you when you touch it.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Yes indeed! Terribly sorry ( my analog-multimeter has a 250V slot and i .. well auto-suggestion! ) The input voltage is fine 235 V.

I'll do that. I haven't opened it up as yet.

It's definetly not static; bare floor and absolutely no carpeting or synthetic fibre. My parents and sister have been getting jolted as well so it's definitely not a case of clothing. Plus as you said 20V is a little high and that's off the case. Plus static jolts feel different.

Any idea where the problem could lie - surely it's in the UPS? Any idea what could have blown?

Reply to
Vivek.M

touching

I am betting nothing is "blown." You more likely have MOV protect devices that have gone leaky in either the front end of the UPS or the front end of the computer power supplies. Actually could be in any device on that circuit or any outlet strip that has surge protection.

The voltage you are reading is basically meaningless, unless it was at full mains voltage. You need to be measuring the leakage current with a proper leakage meter.

Reply to
dkuhajda

If your ups is suspect, take it out of the loop. Plug your pc directly in the your mains and check for leakage voltage on your case. Divide and conquer..

Reply to
James Thompson

Many thanks you guys! I have isolated the problem and it is in the UPS. I also spoke to my Dad and he said that he had this problem before, and the tech had changed a MOV (apparently Dad had the good-sense to ask - it's apparently a fairly common problem.) Sorry for the delay in replying and leaving the thread hanging!

Reply to
Vivek.M