cheap Asian text equipment

I was browsing eBay for cheap multimeters, and found this in the description of the Vichy [sic] VC99...

"Dual-slop DC/AC converter..."

Must not be very accurate.

Anyone have opinions about Vichy products (other than the water)? It seems Vichy is trying to suggest Vishay, a well-known manufacturer of high-quality resistors.

--
"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 11:08:38 -0700, "William Sommerwerck" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Well, what can you expect from text [sic] equipment? ;-)

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Slopey proof reading, for one...

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

ion

ity

I like the freebie Harbor freight coupon digital multimeters. For what I need they are fine, and I don't have to treat it with kid gloves like I used to do with the expensive voltmeters we had at Bell Laboratories where I worked.

Reply to
hrhofmann

The Vichy is interesting because it has functions that one rarely finds on inexpensive DVMs.

I have one of the Harbor Freight DVMs, which I carry in my toolbag.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I had to prod around in a machine that uses 208v with a $5 looking multimeter recently.

I was pretty concerned about the entire thing having a solder blob work loose and throwing the thing into a current range and exploding and taking off my hand and face.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Cydrome Leader wrote in news:jnadln$ejv$ snipped-for-privacy@reader1.panix.com:

two things to know about the $3/freebie HF DMM;

1.input Z is only 1 MegR. 2.the input jacks solder joints crack and become intermittent.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

You must have been there at the very end--before 1984, a fancy DMM wouldn't have been visible above the noise at Bell.

When I was a postdoc at IBM Watson in 1988, a colleague was thinking out loud one day about buying a fancy lock-in amplifier. "Well, it's stupid to buy one, and I probably don't need five, so I'll order three." Bell had money to waste like that too.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Jim Yanik wrote in news:XnsA040EAABD75FAjyaniklocalnetcom@216.168.3.44:

I forgot one of the most important things; the first DMM I got read VERY high,a 1.5 volt cell read almost 2 volts. the exchange DMM read much closer to 1.5V.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jim Yanik

I worked at Bell Labs the Summer of 1970 -- a terrible mistake. Anyhow, they spent money like water.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

ription

seems

quality

They may have had a monopoly, but at least they knew how to give great customer service, so I personally didn't care. Even knowing the service cost more, overall, still didn't care. Interesting, eh?

Reply to
Robert Macy

If they did, they lost the knowledge. AT&T is one of the worst companies you could do business with. They just don't give a damn.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Thanks to judge Green, we don't have that black corded dial phone on the wall anymore. Ok maybe a little facetious, but my parents had the same phone for

35 yrs, with a few extra turns on the ringer coil I added when a teen, to trigger some unremembered project. Mikek
Reply to
amdx

you

that was way back when, not now.

Reply to
Robert Macy

half of that is in the probes alone.

assuming they were even soldered correctly to begin with.

So the most improbable thing was wrong with the machine. Not one, but two open heating elements, and the spare from the spares kit was also open.

Instead of trying to track down house marked west german era immersion heaters with strange bends, we're looking at having custom ones made here. I can't wait to see the quotes on those things.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Putt knot yore trussed inn spall chequers.

zero, and remove the last word.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso