Can a battery charger/conditioner be used on smaller batteries

I acquired a marine battery charger/conditioner (Promativ 40-3). I just tried it on the battery from a lawnmower which at first showed less than 7 volts (12V battery). My car battery 10 amp charger could barely get any current into the battery (barely moved the meter). Leaving the battery on the new charger overnight seems to have restored its ability to hold 12V.

What I am wondering is, would it be reasonable to use this charger (It's rated for 40 amps) to charge smaller batteries like the 5 amp hour gel cells from a UPS? I would think that it is regulating for voltage, and monitoring the battery voltage to determine when to reduce the charging voltage. I have a number of these batteries which I'd love to restore to semi usable condition. Is it reasonable to use this charger on them?

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

If they need restoring, you have nothing to lose. I haven't done it, but I think you're probably on safe ground since lead-acid battery charging is a matter of regulating voltage rather than current. How does the restorer work?

Reply to
mc