BENQ PDP 46W1 component input termination

This is a strange one. I have a client's unit in the shop that works fine with VGA, composite, DVI, and RF, but will not display a proper image with component inputs. The image is extremely bright with the whites crushed and looking over driven. When I first saw it my first thought was that it must have some termination setting for a loop out. Well I was right about the problem being a termination issue, but guess what, no loop out nor or there any 75 ohm terminating resistors in the input board. No settings in the menu system for anything related. There terminating resistors for the other inputs, but not on the component in. There are locations for them but they are simply not there. I installed three 75 ohm resistors and the set works fine. I keep thinking I must be missing something. BENQ is no help as they simply repeat the mantra "send it in for service."

Have any of you ever run into one of these or anything without terminating resistors on the inputs? The unit is a couple of years old but obviously came from the factory like this. Am I missing something? Does anyone know how to get any technical info on a BENQ PDP (Chungwa made PDP)? Is this a case of me being dense or did some idiot program the insertion system in the factory wrong? Maybe some novice engineer at Chungwa doesn't know that component vido should be terminated? They can't all be made like this because they would have never worked right.

This looks like a pretty well designed unit that works well for a 852x480 display, but I can't figure out why the composite inputs were made this way. As for BENQ support, they are unwilling to provide any at all thus far. To require that every unit with a technical question be sent in for repair to either NJ or CA is just silly and they will get no business from me.

The set works, now, but I can't help feeling like I missed something.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

| Have any of you ever run into one of these or anything without terminating | resistors on the inputs? The unit is a couple of years old but obviously | came from the factory like this. Am I missing something? Does anyone know | how to get any technical info on a BENQ PDP (Chungwa made PDP)? Is this a | case of me being dense or did some idiot program the insertion system in the | factory wrong? Maybe some novice engineer at Chungwa doesn't know that | component vido should be terminated? They can't all be made like this | because they would have never worked right.

I suspect some middle-level manager decided to save some money by not inserting resistors only needed for some kind of input connection he neither understands nor ever uses. He may have pocketed the different.

| Phil Howard KA9WGN       | http://linuxhomepage.com/      http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/   http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |
phil-news-nospam

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 17:42:47 -0400, "Leonard Caillouet" put finger to keyboard and composed:

I would have thought professional reviewers would have noticed something like that, assuming yours is not just a one-off case.

However, the only substantial review I can find is this one by Kevin Miller on October 9, 2003:

The good:

Solid feature package with individual memory for each input; great color decoding; decent video processing with 3:2 pull-down; relatively inexpensive.

The bad:

Inadequate picture control; poor black-level performance; significant noise and false-contouring artifacts; low resolution; no HDCP copy protection.

The bottom line:

This low-resolution plasma is a mediocre performer, but it's very aggressively priced.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

I'm guessing this was an early production screw-up that they fixed at some point. If it was designed this way and they were all built like this there is no way it could have ever worked properly. Of course, it could be the source of poor black level and inadequate picture control for a really dumb reviewer. I actually find that there is a large range of control and you could almost make it work in term of brightness if you turn it all the way down. Still had whites that were blown out, etc. Well, it works now.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet