AVR for 3300VA generator

I am trying to repair a Honda generator mounted in a vehicle, on which the AVR has failed, and is no longer available. The generator is a 2 pole 3300VA 240V 50Hz machine, type Honda EV3600.

The field is slip ring connected, and is about 55 ohms when cold. 12V DC applied to this produced 150V output, so current at no load is probably about 350mA.

The sense feedback from the 240V gives about 20V at 240V output.

The AVR supply winding gives about 100V ac.

Does anyone know where I can get a suitable AVR, or a universal one of a suitable rating that I can set up for this application? I am an electrical/electronic engineer, in the UK

Reply to
DaveLee

Dave-

Although I may be the "blind leading the blind", I'm faced with a possibly related problem with a Generac 3500VA 60Hz generator. Output voltage is slightly low (226VAC), after adjusting engine speed to 3600 RPM for 60 Hz output. The only obvious solution would be to boost field current.

The field current is supplied by a "Power Regulator Board" that may be the equivalent of your AVR. I can see several components that are covered by some kind of encapsulating compound. I suspect one of the components has shifted value. By removing the compound and measuring resistor and capacitor values, it may be possible to find the problem. However I have no documentation for what the values should be. I believe a replacement module is still available, but haven't checked.

Unless you can adapt an AVR from a similar generator in current production, you may have no choice but to repair your old one. In your case, I would expect to find a component that has either become disconnected, or has failed completely. I think yours would be easier to troubleshoot than mine!

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

Dave-

You may have seen my posting about "Generator Tune-UP...". I posted a similar message on the rec.radio.amateur.equipment newsgroup, and received one response that may be of interest to you.

Check out

It has forums that include small engines, as well as generator sets. There seems to be people there who are quite experienced, and may have the information you need.

I don't recall seeing Honda mentioned, but there were messages about every other generator brand I've ever heard of, including military surplus.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie