Are Non-Polarized Caps (in speaker crossovers) Electrolytics?

------------------------

The Peter Wieck liar posted:

** The pic quoted by "pf" is of a RE-BUILT AR4X crossover.

The Zen cap is not standard in any version nor is the L pad.

AR normally used a simple, WW pot, which is pretty darn slack.

IME, AR were seriously into cheapness.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

-------------

** If the large value electro is wired in parallel with the woofer, it does little harm. Non linear distortion products do not transfer to the mid or treble drivers. FYI:

My last project involved completely stripping and re-engineering an old pai r of AR2Axs - the cabs were in good nick and cost me $100.

I fitted Peerless, 10 inch woofers ( 830668 ) with a 12dB/oct filters that used non-polar electros and a 2mH air inductor.

The mids were 4inch Peerless ( PL11MH09-08 ) with 12dB/oct filters at 450 H z and 3kHz, using only 250VAC rated film caps and air inductors. I installe d a thick walled, cardboard tube from back to front to give this driver its own, 2 litre enclosure - stuffed with absorbent wadding.

The tweeters were 4ohm PAE 1 inch soft domes ( PAE 25TG18) with an 18dB/oct filter using 250AV caps and air inductor.

I spent considerable time doing tests with an AKG CK2 condenser mic using 1 /3oct pink noise and 4 cycle tone bursts.

There are a couple of 5 watt WW resistors involved, no variable attenuators and the final touch was to install Speakon connectors.

On good programme, they leave any AR I have listened to for dead.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Allegedly; there's something about contact potentials with electrolytics.

If its real - there wouldn't be much mystery about it causing distortion.

Reply to
Ian Field

Just a basic, but relevant point - Dynaco cabinets of that vintage are not sealed.

And, yes, when speakers rely on mechanical vs. soldered connections, they b ecome weak points. AR (et.al.) pots. Dynaco rotary switches. Internal banan a connections (yes, they exist). And more.

As a hobbyist with a 40+ year immersion in the hobby, and in a region where all sorts of things are thick on the ground and having lived within 100 mi les of a dozen major audio manufacturers, I have seen *lots* of strange stu ff. Most recently (May 12th), a Dynaco ST70 and a pair of MkIIIs marked by, and from a Hammond organ. Go figure.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

t sealed.

become weak points. AR (et.al.) pots. Dynaco rotary switches. Internal ban ana connections (yes, they exist). And more.

re all sorts of things are thick on the ground and having lived within 100 miles of a dozen major audio manufacturers, I have seen *lots* of strange s tuff. Most recently (May 12th), a Dynaco ST70 and a pair of MkIIIs marked b y, and from a Hammond organ. Go figure.

Hmm, I thought of crimps as pretty reliable.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Crimps are very good when done correctly. I think what the OP is referring to is speakers connected with things like the push on connectors and phono plugs. Not realaly a good hard mashed together type of connector,but one that slides off and on.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery